Things: Search, Show, and Add Tasks

Doh! Should have thought to look - yup we have an error:

[com.danielsh.alfred.alleyoop: Evernote 3.5 failed with error: 'download_url' (2013-04-05-10:38:35)]

Occurs for each Workflow installed (except Things)

Edit: Looks like typo's! You have changed to using "download_url" instead of "download_uri"

Edited by sphardy

Okay. Unfortunately, in order to make sure that all Alleyoop users update to the latest version, I had to make a change to the expected server-side JSON so that old versions of Alleyoop would gradually stop working. Unless you have other errors in the list, it's likely going to be a matter of waiting until the other workflows' developers update their remote files to support the new syntax (not too much of a chore, since it just involves changing the key "download_uri" to "download_url"). Sorry for the inconvenience, but it was really important that the older, bulk-extraction versions stop working. Hopefully developers will make the transition as they release updates—you won't have to do anything on your end, they'll just start showing up in the list again.

Hi! I bought the lifetime Powerpack just for this workflow! Thanks!

Question: I would like to add tasks even if Things is not open in the background. Currently, when I try to add a new task without Things running, it only opens Things but does not add a task.

Is it possible to automatically be able to add tasks without having things open?

Thanks,

Johnny

Hi! I bought the lifetime Powerpack just for this workflow! Thanks!

Question: I would like to add tasks even if Things is not open in the background. Currently, when I try to add a new task without Things running, it only opens Things but does not add a task.

Is it possible to automatically be able to add tasks without having things open?

Thanks,

Johnny

Thanks! Always glad to help bring people into the fold.

I'm afraid, though, that adding things without Things is a no-go. I looked into modifying its database directly and concluded that there's probably no way to generate the metadata that the program expects to go with its tasks. However, it shouldn't be dropping new tasks like that; I've just uploaded a new copy of the workflow that might help a bit. Let me know if there's any improvement!

Thanks! Always glad to help bring people into the fold.

I'm afraid, though, that adding things without Things is a no-go. I looked into modifying its database directly and concluded that there's probably no way to generate the metadata that the program expects to go with its tasks. However, it shouldn't be dropping new tasks like that; I've just uploaded a new copy of the workflow that might help a bit. Let me know if there's any improvement!

Hey Phil, that was quick! I used Alleyoop to update my workflows (worked like a charm, btw), but the problem still occurs. I'll clarify:

1) Things is closed

2) Open Alfred, type "things #test testingnewtask"

3) Things opens, Inbox is empty (testingnewtask is not created)

If Things is open in the background, "#test newtask" is shown in the Inbox. Tag (#test) is not created, but is included in the name. Also, how do you input duedates?

Thanks again!

Hah, glad at least one thing is working as expected! I just uploaded a newer version that, on my machine, seems to work better if Things wasn't already running. The deal with tags is that Things won't create new tags when it parses your input, unfortunately; I tested it with a tag I knew existed and it seemed to work okay. I know this is a pretty janky restriction, but I haven't yet found a way around it, as the parsing of that cryptic line is handled by Things itself.

Hi,

Had some trouble getting this to work, so did a bit of peeking into the script and noticed that feedback.py would choke on an item in my things_data["task"] list. The item was simply "None" and it occurred in the middle of many other valid items. This caused feedback.py to stop executing at line 89 and line 107, I added a check (if task / if thing:) and the script ran fine. 

I'm a long-time Things user and I'm sure my database might be slightly wonky (for example Things Folders haven't been able to execute) but it might be worth adding checks like this in case other people's Things databases also turn out to be a bit messy. 

Best regards,

Linus Kendall

This is an absolutely gorgeous workflow — in terms of icons and functionality. However, I'm having an issue when creating a new task and trying to either add a tag or reference a project that doesn't already exist within Things. In the first instance (that is, using an as-of-yet nonexistent tag) it just appends the actual hashtag syntax to the task name instead of creating a new tag as I'd have expected. In the second instance (referencing an as-of-yet nonexistent project) the task simply doesn't get created!

Let me know if there's any other information that might help!

How do I get something in the Today list right away?

BTW, AWESOME flow, can we pay you somehow?

Unfortunately, the >+0 syntax is the only way to do it. That syntax is built into Things, and the challenges required for injecting tasks any other way have so far struck me as insurmountable. If I can find a way to make it easier, I'll definitely change it; but for now, that's all you've got.

And I appreciate the offer of good old American coin! It's super-unnecessary, but if you insist, there's a PayPal link at my main Alfred page.

This is an absolutely gorgeous workflow — in terms of icons and functionality. However, I'm having an issue when creating a new task and trying to either add a tag or reference a project that doesn't already exist within Things. In the first instance (that is, using an as-of-yet nonexistent tag) it just appends the actual hashtag syntax to the task name instead of creating a new tag as I'd have expected. In the second instance (referencing an as-of-yet nonexistent project) the task simply doesn't get created!

Let me know if there's any other information that might help!

Thanks! Unfortunately, there's currently no way to add new projects or tags from the workflow. The AppleScript that it uses to communicate with Things just doesn't support it. As with adding things to Today, if I can find a way then I'll implement it; but for the moment, it's expected that the program will respond just the way you're seeing.

I'm sorry it's giving you so much trouble, and I'm sorry it took me so long to get to this. Sick as a dog for the past few days.

For future reference, "alp" is a Python module a few forum users and I threw together that's bundled with the workflow. I'm not sure what easy_install installed, but it's not that.

The only thing I can suggest is that you try navigating to the workflow's folder in the Terminal and running ./ThingsWorkflow directly, to see if it gives you any usable errors. I'll take a look through the code to see if there are any likely performance hangups in the meantime.

I am probably doing (having) something wrong. Running the ./ThingsWorkflow in the Terminal in the workflow's folder does not work and displays:

-bash: ./ThingsWorkflow: No such file or directory

And yes, the workflow is not working (I can add workflows, but not search or edit). Can you help me?

Kristof

I am probably doing (having) something wrong. Running the ./ThingsWorkflow in the Terminal in the workflow's folder does not work and displays:

-bash: ./ThingsWorkflow: No such file or directory

And yes, the workflow is not working (I can add workflows, but not search or edit). Can you help me?

Kristof

Hi Kristof,

Are you running the latest version of the workflow? It doesn't use the ThingsWorkflow command anymore, it's all Python now. I'd suggest downloading it again and seeing what happens. If you still have trouble, change the script filter so that it calls the command python feedback.py "{query}" 2>&1 | tee feedback.log and let me know what feedback.log says.

Hi Kristof,

Are you running the latest version of the workflow? It doesn't use the ThingsWorkflow command anymore, it's all Python now. I'd suggest downloading it again and seeing what happens. If you still have trouble, change the script filter so that it calls the command python feedback.py "{query}" 2>&1 | tee feedback.log and let me know what feedback.log says.

I have the latest version (Alleyoop takes care for this :-).

There is an UnicodeEncodeError, here the feedback.log

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "feedback.py", line 127, in <module>
    do_feedback()
  File "feedback.py", line 97, in do_feedback
    uid="task-{0}".format(task.split(" ")[0]),
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\u0161' in position 6: ordinal not in range(128)

Kristof

Hah, glad Alleyoop is taking care of you! But ah, Unicode errors, the bane of my existence. I've uploaded a new version for you to try; see if it does any better.

Automatically updated with Alleyoop and it works perfectly :-).

Thanks a lot, Kristof