Things: Search, Show, and Add Tasks

This workflow is much better than Todo, which is limited to a single tag per entry. Using Things as a backbone is much better, but still there are two things I miss: I'd like to access the inbox directly, rather than have the menu filled with the 'scheduled', 'today', and other non-task links. Secondly, I'd like to be able to use the fn/ctrl/alt modifiers to mark as done, delete, or edit. Would you be interested in any of this?

Edited by east1999

Marking and editing tasks would unfortunately involve making direct changes to the Things DB, which I'm wary of doing. The charming little hack that makes this workflow work relies on copying the database and reading it; any edits would break the lock Things.app holds on its own database and potentially cause serious synching problems. The question of what constitutes a "task" list seems, I think, pretty esoteric to your use of Things—I, for example, keep more tasks in "Scheduled" and "Today" than I do in the Inbox, which I in fact rarely use—and so I think I'd rather shoot for the broad middle. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

• 4 months later...

Hi Daniel,

I was wondering if there's something wrong with my workflow because every time I add a new To-Do, it changes focus to the app. Ideally, I would like it to return focus to the application which I came from.

The other issue I am running into with the workflow is that it only brings projects into focus if the project list is expanded in the left-hand side menu. 

Those are two small nitpicks in an otherwise useful script. Thanks for posting the workflow! 

~Jonathan

• 11 months later...

I'll look into it, but the workflow currently just pulls all the tasks from the database without attending to where they're sorted.

That would be flat out incredible. It's very easy to get drawn into tweaking every corner of my database, when what I meant to do was just glance at the Today list!

I was wondering if there's something wrong with my workflow because every time I add a new To-Do, it changes focus to the app. Ideally, I would like it to return focus to the application which I came from.

Another great request. This would really speed things up for me, too. Alfred's notifications already do the trick of assuring me the task was received.

This is one of the most valuable workflows for me in Alfred. It has help me considerably over the past year. I really hope it is kept fresh!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

The workflow is still available from GitHub (https://github.com/phyllisstein/Workflows), but my work demands have been such that it's not actively maintained now and unlikely to be in the future. The fact that Cultured Code is on a pretty lackadaisical release cycle may grant it some longevity, but beware the danger of getting comfortable with it only to have the next Things update introduce breaking changes.

I've been hoping to make the time to give these and some other old projects a spit-shine for a while, but it just hasn't been possible; in lieu of that, I'll gladly and gratefully entertain offers from anyone looking to take responsibility for one or more of these gadgets.

xo,

d