[SOLVED] Sequential paste

Hey guys,

I love Alfred's Clipboard features, but I miss one that is common to almost all good clipboard managers: sequential paste.

Nowadays, if I want to do this in Alfred, I need to copy a few items, then invoke the Clipboard History using Command + Option + C, then use Command + number to paste what I want. Each time.

If Alfred had a sequential paste feature, I'd be able to copy a few items and then, using a special paste keyboard shortcut, it would paste each last copied item in reverse order.

That would be awesome! Cheers.

That might be achievable with a Workflow.

Question: at what point does the sequential paste keyword revert to pasting the latest clipboard entry? Is it on a timer? Is it after you copy something new? Both?

10 hours ago, R3ven said:

Highly recommend another Mac App named 'Paste'. All features you want about clipboard can be found in that app. Improved my working efficiency a lot!

Yes, I've tested Paste and up until I've migrated to Alfred, I was using a now-discontinued app called CmdVees for that.

The idea here, of course, is that Alfred implements this as a native feature (or via a workflow, like @vitor suggested) instead of me having to run another app just for that.

@rfischmann As @vitor suggests, that should be possible with a workflow. If you come up with a clear idea of what you want to achieve in your sequence, we can likely help you make a workflow for it.

E.g. do you need to tab between them? Just paste items 1 2 3 4 or 4 3 2 1 in order? 

Everyone's requirements and suggestions are wildly different from one another, so a workflow is better than trying to build something that suits everyone within Alfred itself.

Cheers,
Vero

If you can help me on that, @Vero, that would be awesome!

It's quite simple: I want to be able to copy, let's say, five items and then quickly paste them using a specific keyboard shortcut. Like this:

1. Select and copy items 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
  2. Use this special/new keyboard shortcut and paste item 5.
  3. Use the shortcut again and paste 4.
  4. Use the shortcut again and paste 3.
  5. Use the shortcut again and paste 2.
  6. Use the shortcut again and paste 1.

As we've previously discussed, this "sequential paste" workflow could be timer-based — a minute and a half would be more than enough.

Cheers!

Hi, @vitor. How are you?

Could you explain me what I need to do to change the sequencial order in this workflow? I would like to use it like this:

1. Select and copy items 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
  2. Use this special/new keyboard shortcut and paste item 1.
  3. Use the shortcut again and paste 2.
  4. Use the shortcut again and paste 3.
  5. Use the shortcut again and paste 4.
  6. Use the shortcut again and paste 5.

Thanks a lot!

4 hours ago, JJJJ said:

I would like to ask you that is it possible to reset it with a keyword or a shortcut?

Done. Download at the same URL.

This is a useful Workflow, I might clean it up and release properly (with icon, README, and all that) later on. No promises (busy week), but I’ll try to comment here if I do.

@Eduardo Marques That would require a whole different Workflow, because it would need to ask in advance how many items you want to paste and then do them in that order (and then what, when it reached the most recent one?).

That would be a worse interface, and a less capable and more complicated Workflow (both in technical and usability terms).

To help you, I need to understand your use case better. Would it be enough if you gave Alfred a number and it pasted the items all at once in the correct order?

7 hours ago, vitor said:

As (not) promised (but delivered), here’s the proper Workflow with an icon and README.

I recommend you uninstall the current one and install this one, as the code is cleaner, you can configure the number of minutes for the reset, and if checks for updates automatically.

Unfortunately this new version isn't working as it should for me. It's always pasting the last thing I copy, @vitor.

• 9 months later...

Thanks for making this, @vitor. I'm not sure it's working on Big Sur, perhaps someone can confirm if it is for them? — it pastes empty (or empty with a new line) each time. My Clipboard History is turned on.

Edited by mikarv

• vitor changed the title to [SOLVED] Sequential paste
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Welcome @Mindstormer,

1 minute ago, Mindstormer said:

Not working for me on big sur. It pastes a variation of "Image: 19x32 (7.7 KB)" no matter what regular text I copy.

Please don’t post here for bug reports; use the proper thread.

If you do post there, please be sure to include:

• The workflow version you’re on.
  • The Alfred version you’re on.
  • The debugger output.

Thank you.