Automatic suggestion of search engine in web search

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 3:29 AM, vitor said:

I don’t understand your second sentence. Can you rephrase what you’re asking for?

For example, I set keywords image, dog for google search, set bag, apple.. for Bing search, then when I input big apple, the Bing will be the first suggestion search service, but input Landscape image, the google search will head for the first one.

Edited by llityslife

11 hours ago, llityslife said:

For example, I set keywords image, dog for google search, set bag, apple.. for Bing search, then when I input big apple, the Bing will be the first suggestion search service, but input Landscape image, the google search will head for the first one.

Are you using automatic translation software?

16 hours ago, vitor said:

Are you using automatic translation software?

😀Maybe I need explain it more detail. The keywords for each web search, when I type a sentence "where can I buy a big", and I set a keyword "big" in amazon search, which will at the first position of the search bar.

54 minutes ago, deanishe said:

So you mean "keywords" in the metadata sense, not in the regular Alfred sense:

alfred-keyword.png.7da3c5bdd970d827b8c313c52b6a0cb3.png

That's right! It needs Alfred auto match the metadata with the datasets, when we are typing a sentence in the search bar, it will match the appropriate search engine. Or there are AI learn engine, it can learn what we want, for example, when I input "Titanic", Alfred will suggest use IMDB and YouTube.

That would need to be a very sophisticated feature to work well. It'd need a large amount of domain knowledge, and how would you train it to recognise your custom web searches?

I don't think that's at all feasible for Alfred. Web search is just one small feature. The Alfred team can't invest an entire application's worth of effort into it.

If you don't like having to specify the search engine before the query, you can try my Suffix Web Search workflow.

2 hours ago, deanishe said:

That would need to be a very sophisticated feature to work well. It'd need a large amount of domain knowledge, and how would you train it to recognise your custom web searches?

I don't think that's at all feasible for Alfred. Web search is just one small feature. The Alfred team can't invest an entire application's worth of effort into it.

If you don't like having to specify the search engine before the query, you can try my Suffix Web Search workflow.

I agree with you. I test Suffix Web Search workflow, it only can be used with one word. 

Thanks for your help.

30 minutes ago, llityslife said:

it only can be used with one word. 

What do you mean? Your query can be as many words as you like. The keywords are read from Alfred's web search configuration, so if you want multiple possible keywords, you need to make a copy of the web search for each keyword.

• vitor changed the title to Automatic suggestion of search engine in web search
2 hours ago, deanishe said:

What do you mean? Your query can be as many words as you like. The keywords are read from Alfred's web search configuration, so if you want multiple possible keywords, you need to make a copy of the web search for each keyword.

This is work.

image.png.4f231fc572fd3fabeed5ea10d19fd457.png

Is it possible support Chinese. Thanks!

image.png.497619ba02b2f5ace505f35f4666967b.png

19 minutes ago, deanishe said:

I understood what you said. reload(sys) is a hack, and I would like a more correct solution. So I would appreciate it if you would post the error you were getting. That way I can fix it for everyone without hacks.

It's an encode  error. So I need to set the websearch.py file character as utf-8.

image.png.404e6c72e827d2c7f632b31a7d45d6dd.png

image.png.1860c6e0f0b22a58a1bfcf85516b1ad1.png

Edited by llityslife

Just now, llityslife said:

It's an encode  error. So I need specifies the websearch.py file character set as utf-8.

I know it's an encoding error, and I know how to fix it. Please give me the log from Alfred's debugger, so I can see where the error is occurring.

2 hours ago, llityslife said:

it can work with folderify.

That's an interesting tool. Thanks for the pointing it out.

I have no plans to turn the Icon Generator into a workflow, though. It doesn't have an API, and all the previews are currently generated from webfonts, which wouldn't work in Alfred. Changing it to provide PNG previews would massively increase the load on the (very small) server.