Searching for Contacts doesn’t work right

christianboyce

If Contacts is not running, doing an Alfred search for a contact (by name) and then hitting Return to launch Contacts and go to that contact-- that works. But, if Contacts is already running, and I do an Alfred search for a contact, and then hit return, Contacts comes to the front, but it does not go to the contact I searched for. Additionally, a blank window appears (the kind of window that you get if you double-click on a contact in the contact list within the Contacts app). The window is completely blank. If I search again (using Alfred) and hit Return to go to that contact I generate another blank Contact window. There seems to be no limit to the number I can create.

If I quit Contacts and do another Alfred search for a contact, and then hit Return, it works perfectly. This is with Alfred 4.0.9 (1144) and macOS 10.15.4. I'm sure that the problem appears only if Contacts is already running. If it isn't running, everything works perfectly-- but if Contacts is already running, instead of going to the Contact, I get a blank Contact window.

I have another machine with Alfred 4.0.9 (1144) and macOS 10.14.6 and it works as expected when I use Alfred to search for a contact, whether Contacts is currently running or not. 

I'm attaching a representative blank window from Contacts. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 8.23.25 PM.png

@christianboyce hmmm this is very strange indeed, and undoubtedly a bug in Contacts.app on Catalina.

Alfred is simply calling the addressbook:// url scheme which is passed off to macOS. The behaviour after this is entirely outside of Alfred's control. The good news is this is super simple to reproduce, so it'll be easy for me to raise an Apple bug!

Cheers,

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Came here to report the same bug--hopefully apple to it quickly since it's clearly broken. 

In the meantime, I wonder if a workflow that closes contacts first and then opens it would be a good workaround? My only concern was that if I was editing an entry and did a search I wouldn't want it to force-close, but other than that maybe that could work? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 2:59 PM, psifertex said:

Came here to report the same bug--hopefully apple to it quickly since it's clearly broken. 

In the meantime, I wonder if a workflow that closes contacts first and then opens it would be a good workaround? My only concern was that if I was editing an entry and did a search I wouldn't want it to force-close, but other than that maybe that could work? 

How would you get Alfred to run your workflow rather than just look up the name you searched for? Is there a way to intercept the default "Open contact in Contacts.app" action, getting in front of it with my own workflow?

• 2 weeks later...

In 10.15.5, with the supplemental update of June 1st 2020, an Alfred search for a contact still works perfectly if Contacts is not running. If one does an Alfred search for a contact while Contacts is running, hitting return now finds the contact in the Contacts file... but it now opens in a new window! This is progress, but it's still nuts. (It's progress because it used to just open a new window without any information in it. At least now the new window has the right person in it.)

Do a test: quit Contacts, use Alfred to search for a name you know is in Contacts, find the name and hit return. Contacts opens to the card for that person. Do it again (for the same name-- while Contacts is already showing that person) and you get a new window (with that person's info). Search for any other name while Contacts is open and you get a new window with that person's contact info in it. 

Still not happy.

• 3 weeks later...

In the interest of better bug reporting, I created the following reproduction. First, use Clipboard Viewer https://langui.net/clipboard-viewer/ to get the unique ID for one of your contacts (there might be an easier way to do this).

Next, open a terminal and run the following both with and without Contacts open:

open addressbook://1A73XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX96277D72:ABPerson

obviously the popup the second time is the problem and should be reported to apple still.

Edited by psifertex