fabswt

How to exclude (specific) file?

Hi there!

I'm new to Alfred and trying to get everything setup nicely.

I created a custom Web search to compose emails through a shortcut. The keyword for the shortcut is `mail`. It works fine… However, when I type `mail` in Alfred, it shows Apple's Mail.app in the results. I never use Apple's Mail and so want to get rid of it in the results.

This thread from 9 years ago, The one in which you exclude files and folders from Alfred’s results: overview covers methods of ignoring files. But it didn't help:

- I was able to add Mail.app to Spotlight's Privacy tab, but it didn't get rid of it in Alfred.

- I'm confused about the "Alfred:ignore" technique: it says to add the note inside of the Get info window, inside the "Spotlight comment" field…but I have no such field there (and judging from web results it's probably an old feature.) Adding it to the regular comments field or to the tags field did not help.

- And Mail.app cannot be deleted.

Bottom-line: how can I exclude a specific file from Alfre'ds search results?

Running macOS Mojave (10.14.2), if that's relevant.

P.S.: of course, I could just use a different shortcut, but I want that one :)

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2020 at 3:07 PM, fabswt said:

I was able to add Mail.app to Spotlight's Privacy tab, but it didn't get rid of it in Alfred.

Try reload in Alfred. That should do it.

On 4/4/2020 at 3:07 PM, fabswt said:

it says to add the note inside of the Get info window, inside the "Spotlight comment" field…but I have no such field there

It’s just called Comments. It’s below Name & Extension and above Open with.

Edited by vitor