Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Alfred Wifi Speedtest

Alfred Wifi Speedtest is a workflow for Alfred 4, that uses speedtest-cli and reports back in a notification the upload/download speeds of the current wifi you're on.

 

alfred-speedtest-results.thumb.png.a32810a55cb6ba188848d82aaaf76d12.png

 

Why?


Since COVID hit, my wifi speeds have plummeted (Verizon cap/bottleneck maybe?). I hate needing to google for a wifi speedtest every time I have to check if my wifi speed will be good enough for the call I'm about to join. I have to open another tab, ads clutter my screen while running the speedtest, and it's one more thing cluttering my screen. This workflow makes a wifi speedtest just an alfred keyword away.

 

Important

You will always find the latest version, changelog and updated documentation on GitHub as is difficult to use the forum to keep track of updates and support. 

 

Download


Download directly from Github releases page, make sure to download the latest release. Download here.

 

Installation Instructions

After downloading the workflow from the release page, be sure to install the wifi speedtest-cli using the command below

 

brew install speedtest-cli

 

Then, simply run the Alfred workflow by summoning Alfred and typing speedtest.

 

This is my first real contribution to any sort of open source community so suggestions are welcome! I thought about adding automatic updates, but figured something is better than nothing to start and I can iterate on this if people have suggestions/feature requests. Thanks in advance for any suggestions to improve this workflow!

Link to post
Posted (edited)

Nice job. Works well.

 

16 hours ago, mmroczka said:

This is my first real contribution to any sort of open source community so suggestions are welcome!

 

Generally, you should put the source code of the workflow (i.e. the unzipped workflow) in the GitHub repo, not the packaged workflow.

 

git/GitHub are for source code (i.e. text files), and most of their features (diffs, pull requests) just don't work on binary blobs.

 

Also, for your download link, you can use https://github.com/mmroczka/alfred-speedtest/releases/latest, which will always point to the latest version, so you never have to update the link when you publish a new version.

 

The way you’re calling speedtest-cli also seems a bit odd. Is there are reason you don’t just run /usr/local/bin/speedtest-cli?

Edited by deanishe
Link to post
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 12:51 AM, mmroczka said:

Alfred Wifi Speedtest

Alfred Wifi Speedtest is a workflow for Alfred 4, that uses speedtest-cli and reports back in a notification the upload/download speeds of the current wifi you're on.

 

alfred-speedtest-results.thumb.png.a32810a55cb6ba188848d82aaaf76d12.png

 

Why?


Since COVID hit, my wifi speeds have plummeted (Verizon cap/bottleneck maybe?). I hate needing to google for a wifi speedtest every time I have to check if my wifi speed will be good enough for the call I'm about to join. I have to open another tab, ads clutter my screen while running the speedtest, and it's one more thing cluttering my screen. This workflow makes a wifi speedtest just an alfred keyword away.

 

Important

You will always find the latest version, changelog and updated documentation on GitHub as is difficult to use the forum to keep track of updates and support. 

 

Download


Download directly from Github releases page, make sure to download the latest release. Download here.

 

Installation Instructions

After downloading the workflow from the release page, be sure to install the wifi speedtest-cli using the command below

 

brew install speedtest-cli

 

Then, simply run the Alfred workflow by summoning Alfred and typing speedtest.

 

This is my first real contribution to any sort of open source community so suggestions are welcome! I thought about adding automatic updates, but figured something is better than nothing to start and I can iterate on this if people have suggestions/feature requests. Thanks in advance for any suggestions to improve this workflow!

When I use the command line:

brew install speedtest-cli

 

I get this error:  

brew: command not found

 

 

Link to post
  • 1 month later...

thank you for making this! after using it i think the notification on the top right should be displayed for a few more seconds as I think it's too quick.. or maybe make it so that it goes away only when you click it

Link to post
22 minutes ago, CuteCat said:

thank you for making this! after using it i think the notification on the top right should be displayed for a few more seconds as I think it's too quick.. or maybe make it so that it goes away only when you click it

You can access the results at any time in your notification centre.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...