Note Taker — Keep small bits of text

Usage

Create

Make new notes via the nadd keyword. Type a name and press ↩ to open the file for editing.

nadd.png

Alternatively, create a new note from a selection or Clipboard History with the Universal Action.

uaadd.png

Search

Find your notes with the nview keyword.

nview.png

• ↩ Edit note.
  • ⌘↩ Preview note in Alfred, parsing markdown.
  • ⌥↩ Copy note contents.
  • ⌃↩ Copy note contents and delete it.
  • ⌘Y (or tap ⇧) Quick Look note.

Edit

Notes can be edited directly in Alfred or a text editor. The default can be changed in the Workflow’s Configuration. Alfred’s view is stacked, meaning ⎋ goes back to the search. ⌘⎋ force hides.

edit.png

• ⌘↩ Save note.
  • ⌥↩ Save and open in text editor.

With the Universal Actions, edit text from a file, a selection, or Clipboard History.

uaedittext.png

uaeditfile.png

Preview

Notes previewed in Alfred are parsed as markdown. The view is stacked, meaning ⎋ goes back to the search. ⌘⎋ force hides.

preview.png

• ⌘↩ Edit note in Alfred.
  • ⌥↩ Open in text editor.

⤓ Install on the Alfred Gallery | Source

18 minutes ago, firesofmay said:

Only issue is when I select cmd+enter, it gets copied but I don't see it being deleted till I retype nview.

That’s by design. It’s so you can delete multiple notes in a row and don’t lose your place. You may disagree with that choice but it’s not an issue, it’s working as intended.

• vitor changed the title to NoteTaker — Keep small bits of text

Update.

Added option to create and edit new empty note (or populated with Universal Action text) in one step. When using nadd, that’s now the default and ⌘↵ is the previous behaviour of using the clipboard.

To update, download the latest version (same URL) or wait a few days and it’ll prompt you to on next usage, since it uses OneUpdater.

• 1 month later...
  • vitor changed the title to Note Taker — Keep small bits of text
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@vitor now that I have been using this lovely workflow for a while, I wonder if you might accept a feature request?

Would it be possible to define a default text editor within the workflow? I know I can define one within the macOS but it would be nice if I could define one just for this workflow. At the moment I'm taking the extra step of hitting the right arrow key and choosing "open with" ....

Thank you for your consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I might be pushing my luck here with feature requests but, might there be a way to append text to the an existing note? I.e. use the nview command, find the note and then use a modifier to append text instead of opening the file? It would be nice to have that option.

I know i can do this with some standard alfred objects but would be cool to have it all in your workflow.....  Feel free to tell me i'm being too demanding!

Edited by sepulchra

No worries. Your requests are reasonable and well explained.

I see the utility in this feature, but that’s one of those simple things which requires a high degree of specificity. E.g. should the append happen directly, have a newline between the old result, a custom separator? It becomes more cumbersome to insert the feature and its configuration into the workflow than for each person to build the one they want: Notes are shown with a File Filer so you can use Universal Actions on them. Including one you build yourself in a separate workflow (so changes are not overridden) to append exactly like you want.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would see what vitor says, but if you are on Sonoma the default file filter settings vitor setup in the workflow should find .md files. It should look like the screenshot below. Know that if  you change settings the will get changed again to the defaults when the workflow is updated.

image.thumb.png.21c01acccf7f62b867d21cefeaa99cd9.png

Edited by sepulchra