How to search inside files by default? Including file contents without entering "in" keyword

Hello,

When I need to search the contents of a file, I type this: 

"in rabbit 123"

By using the keyword "in" followed by the search term, alfred knows that it needs to search inside files for the term "rabbit 123".

I need to enable this by default. I don't care for performance, I need Alfred to search anywhere without me having to specify it.

Can someone please help me? I purchased power pack a week ago and so far I am very happy, however this is break dealer for me, and spotlight does it by default.

Appreciate anyone's help.

Edited by ele
4 minutes ago, ele said:

I need to enable this by default. I don't care for performance

You can’t. Alfred’s developer cares a lot about performance.

You can work around it by creating a workflow, and adding a Hotkey to it that opens Alfred with "in " already in the search box.

But ultimately, you’ll probably get more out of Alfred if you use it the way it’s meant to be used, with multiple, tightly-focussed and very fast searches, instead of treating it like a purple Spotlight.

Just now, deanishe said:

You can’t. Alfred’s developer cares a lot about performance.

You can work around it by creating a workflow, and adding a Hotkey to it that opens Alfred with "in " already in the search box.

But ultimately, you’ll probably get more out of Alfred if you use it the way it’s meant to be used, with multiple, tightly-focussed and very fast searches, instead of treating it like a purple Spotlight.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure why you are saying I am treating Alfred as a purple Spotlight. How it is meant to be used is completely relative, I use the features that I like in the way I believe it's appropriate, according to my needs. Some of them I am happy with the default, some of them I rather customize. Not sure why this is an issue. That's why I'm here, asking for the community's help. 

Regarding your suggestion of creating a workflow: sounds great and thanks for mentioning. However as I understand it it won't work properly because it won't search file names, only content. Is this correct? I just made a quick test and with the keyword "in" placed in the search box Alfred ignores file names. 

Any more thoughts?

Thanks,

1 minute ago, ele said:

How it is meant to be used is completely relative

3 minutes ago, ele said:

Not sure why this is an issue.

Tools are optimised to be used a certain way, and you’ll generally get better results if you use them that way.

I don’t care how you use Alfred. I’m just explaining the way it’s designed to be used.

4 minutes ago, ele said:

However as I understand it it won't work properly because it won't search file names, only content. Is this correct?

That is correct. I thought you wanted to do an "in" search by default.

If you want to search everything, create a File Filter in a workflow and add kMDItemTextContent (and perhaps a few other things) to the Fields list. Then drag all your drives from Finder into the Scope list. You'll want to connect the File Filter to an Open File action and possibly a Reveal in Finder action, too.

6 hours ago, deanishe said:

Tools are optimised to be used a certain way, and you’ll generally get better results if you use them that way.

I don’t care how you use Alfred. I’m just explaining the way it’s designed to be used.

That is correct. I thought you wanted to do an "in" search by default.

If you want to search everything, create a File Filter in a workflow and add kMDItemTextContent (and perhaps a few other things) to the Fields list. Then drag all your drives from Finder into the Scope list. You'll want to connect the File Filter to an Open File action and possibly a Reveal in Finder action, too.

Hello,

I'll look into it. Thanks!

• 2 months later...