dustball

'find x' doesn't find .MOV files on my external drive?

"find x" doesn't find .MOV files on my external hard drive, how come?

Does Alfred use the spotlight index or its own? Where do I see index status? How do I inspect/test/verify the index?

Have you added your external drive to Alfred's default Search Scope?

Alfred uses the system index, the same as Spotlight. But it's more selective about where it searches to increase speed and relevance.

1) Where is the Search Scope defined within Alfred?  My UI has nothing of the sort: blob:https://imgur.com/423dac75-f653-45c3-9c8a-47410b964ff7

2) I've disabled Spotlight because it makes too much noise on the disks.  So Alfred file search won't work?   I thought the whole point of Alfred was that it was a Spotlight replacement.  Awkward..

2 minutes ago, dustball said:

Where is the Search Scope defined within Alfred?

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/features/default-results/#search-scope

3 minutes ago, dustball said:

So Alfred file search won't work?

That's right. Alfred maintains a few indices of its own (applications, preference panes, bookmarks), but everything else relies on the system index.

4 minutes ago, dustball said:

I thought the whole point of Alfred was that it was a Spotlight replacement.

It’s not the whole point (certainly not if you own the Powerpack), but yes, it is an alternative to Spotlight (like, say, Houdaspot) in the sense that Spotlight is just a user interface for system metadata index.

Apple tends to throw around the "Spotlight" name when referring to the metadata index, but they're not really the same thing. If you disable the index, you break a lot more than just Spotlight and Alfred. Other OS features and many applications also rely on the same index.

14 minutes ago, dustball said:

it makes too much noise on the disks

Do you have a really old Mac? Spotlight tends to work very well these days, and it shouldn't be grinding your disks. It might be worth investigating whether some rogue application is constantly writing new files and causing the (re)indexing.

Okay thanks for the replies.  

13 minutes ago, deanishe said:

Do you have a really old Mac?

10.15.5 on a Late 2014 Retina 5K iMac.   The external hard drive is brand new, 32 days old.  

I know its Spotlight because I can hear it when Spotlight is enabled for the drive, and goes away when I add the external HDD to the Privacy tab of Spotlight in System Prefernces.

Maybe erasing/rebuilding Spotlight index with terminal commands is the way to go.  Shrug

Thanks again for the help and please excuse any snark on my side.

10 hours ago, dustball said:

I know its Spotlight because I can hear it when Spotlight is enabled for the drive

Sure, it's Spotlight. It's a question of what's causing it to be constantly indexing. Once the initial indexing is finished, it should only (re)index new and changed files.

10 hours ago, dustball said:

Maybe erasing/rebuilding Spotlight index with terminal commands is the way to go

That's usually the solution when you're having indexing issues.