Remote Desktop

Here's a workflow to control a computer via Apple Remote Desktop.

Usage: "rd remote_computer_name_or_ip"

67p175.png

As with all of my workflows, it's initially very simple, but I'll add functionality based on whimsy and/or requests.

Change log:

• Monday, 8 April 2013 – Minor bugfixes

• Sunday, 31 March 2013 – Open in foreground

• Wednesday, 27 March 2013 – First release

Download

http://bit.ly/2eBnJ7f

Source: https://github.com/surrealroad/alfred-remote-desktop

Edited by surrealroad
updated download link

This is great, thank you.

My issue is that it opens in the background, but modifying your script to this switches the active application to remote destkop:

on alfred_script(q)
    tell application id "com.apple.RemoteDesktop"
        control computer id q
    tell application "Remote Desktop"
        activate
    end tell
    end tell
end alfred_script

This is great, thank you.

My issue is that it opens in the background, but modifying your script to this switches the active application to remote destkop:

on alfred_script(q)
    tell application id "com.apple.RemoteDesktop"
        control computer id q
    tell application "Remote Desktop"
        activate
    end tell
    end tell
end alfred_script

This should be fixed in the latest version.

Thanks, worth the powerpack alone. Small bug (with no likely fix) is that if ARD has a password set (prompts user on launch of ARD), authentication will fail with whatever RD client you're trying to connect to(seems to attempt connection before you even get a chance to type in said password, and when you type pass in, still can't connect to client).

Only work around is you disabled the ARD pass or saved in keychain, or already have ARD open in the background. Not a big deal.

Thanks, worth the powerpack alone. Small bug (with no likely fix) is that if ARD has a password set (prompts user on launch of ARD), authentication will fail with whatever RD client you're trying to connect to(seems to attempt connection before you even get a chance to type in said password, and when you type pass in, still can't connect to client).

Only work around is you disabled the ARD pass or saved in keychain, or already have ARD open in the background. Not a big deal.

I've looked into this, and although it should be possible to implement a way around this, most of the methods I could come up with involve storing the password in plain text somewhere, which presumably is not an option for you as this would be less secure than storing it in the keychain.

The other possibility is  having you type something along the lines of "rd 192.1 password mypassword" when you want to connect, I don't know if it'll be worth doing? Let me know.

I believe that you have to have computers saved within "All Computers" in remote desktop.

The current version of this workflow is quite rudimentary, it literally just (via applescript) asks remote desktop for a list of computers and then displays them.

That said I've just updated the workflow which addresses some minor issues, maybe the new version will work better for you.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

For some reason this does not work for me. When script ran from Terminal, I get following: 

osa: script error: Can’t get application id "com.apple.RemoteDesktop". (-1728)

Any suggestion to fix?

Looks like you might need to reinstall Remote Desktop. Which version do you have?

• 3 years later...