Can Alfred Send a Hotkey Command to a Specific App?

I'm a new user to Alfred and already it's worth it's 29 pounds sterling for the slick UI in creating workflows to send Music commands to what used to be iTunes. I was hoping there was similar functionality for the now split Podcasts app but this thread (https://www.alfredforum.com/topic/14237-global-hotkey-commands-for-macos-1015-podcasts/) suggests there isn't.

You can of course use Alfred to create a hotkey to launch a specific app, but can you use a hotkey to send a specific different hotkey command to a specific app? My thoughts are that I could create a workflow where say cmd-' sends a command to the Podcast app to either execute the Play/Pause functionality or inputs 'space' hotkey in the podcast app to do the same. Does this exist or is this a specific problem with modern Apple design to not implement scripting commands in their newest apps?

Hi @fizzicks4lyfe, welcome to the forum.

5 hours ago, fizzicks4lyfe said:

Does this exist or is this a specific problem with modern Apple design to not implement scripting commands in their newest apps?

This. If you open Script Editor, then select File > Open Dictionary…, you'll see a list of apps you have that are scriptable.

Music.app has inherited iTunes' fairly extensive scripting capabilities, but Podcasts.app has none at all. With apps like that, you're limited to simulating keypresses or menu-item clicks.

• 2 months later...

Came here wondering the same thing as I just updated to Big Sur.  Shame Apple hasn't made it scriptable yet.  I was hoping there was some workaround to having Alfred send a key command to the Podcast.app, even if it's in the background.  I notice Apple allows key commands for actions like back 15 sec, forward 30 sec - but of course Podcasts.app needs to be in focus.

3 hours ago, netnothing said:

Shame Apple hasn't made it scriptable yet.

Don’t count on the “yet” part. Despite the Shortcuts app, Apple has been systematically gutting or ignoring its automation divisions. Don’t expect Apple apps that lose their scriptability to ever regain it.