Alfred showing only web search

I'm new to Alfred. When I open Alfred and paste in a term I want to find in my local files Alfred drops down only web searches: google, amazon & wikipedia. what must I configure to ensure Alfred first looks at my documents, other local files, etc. - and last if at all the web (further, I'd like to customize which web searches are included/excluded)?

Thank you,

Whiskey T.

@Whiskey T. Welcome to the forum :)

Take a look at the beginner's guide to searching using Alfred, for the different ways of searching on your Mac and on the web:

https://www.alfredapp.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/beginners-guide-to-alfred-searching-your-mac-and-the-web/

If you're still having trouble finding certain files, make sure you'reusing Alfred 4.1, then go to Alfred's preferences > Help > Troubleshooting and run the File Search Troubleshooting, dragging in some of the files you can't locate. This will give you more information on whether the metadata for these files is complete, and if they're correctly included in Alfred's index.

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers,
Vero

@Vero

Thank you Vero.

I'm using Alfred v4.1

Perhaps I misunderstand the docs or Alfred's capabilities but when I open Alfred and paste in a term prefixed by 'in', my understanding is that Alfred will search for the term in my files; am I incorrect? I ultimately found the file I was looking for via the Finder (it's one of <100 documents on a fairly new mac) and 'Troubleshooting passed', still, when I open Alfred (opt+space) and enter 'in' + my search term (no quotes) Alfred drops down google, amazon & wikipedia, and nothing else, nothing local at all.

Thank you,

Whiskey T.

Edited by Whiskey T.

@Whiskey T.Could you provide more details as to what kind of file you're searching for, whether the file itself can be found when you search using "open" and the name of your file? Not all file types have their content fully indexed by macOS.

If you use Spotlight (the bar that appears in the centre of your screen, not Finder's search box), do you find your results when searching for the contents?

If you can provide more details on the type of file, its location, exactly what you're typing into Alfred, it'll be easier for us to guide you...

Cheers,
Vero

Thank you for your help Vero.

I was trying to find a TextEdit file in Documents dir which I knew contained a person's name. I wondered also whether perhaps there's an indexing bug as Spotlight initially failed to help but subsequently a Spotlight lookup succeeds. In Alfred, no portion of the search term showed anything but web searches; now the results are different, which you can see in the attachments: typing the first letters of the name indeed shows a local result, however when I continue typing the name, I get the aforementioned results.

So I figure I might have some basic misunderstanding of Alfred's intended usage or capabilities or my configuration (though they're mostly defaults, as I wouldn't alter setting I'm not sure about)

Thanks again,

Whiskey T.

Alfred.1; yan.png

Alfred.2; yane.png

@Whiskey T. Alfred doesn't include all text files in default results by design, to keep your results clean. Default results include apps, and what you've chosen to include in Features > Default Results. 

To search for files, prefix your search with "open" (or press the spacebar as a shortcut) to search for a broader range of file types defined under Features > File Search.

You might like to take a look at our Beginner's Guide to searching your Mac with Alfred:

https://www.alfredapp.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/beginners-guide-to-alfred-searching-your-mac-and-the-web/

Cheers,
Vero