Seeking quick guidance on enhancing Twitter Toolkit Workflow

I built the Twitter Toolkit Workflow largely to make it easy for me to quickly access Twitter's features on the web or in the native desktop app. I intend to add support for TweetBot.

Ultimately it seems like I'm going to end up with a matrix of output URLs (https://, twitter://, and tweetbot://) that receive the user's query, and will be opened in the desired platform based on the  Workflow `platform` variable.

I'm not a programmer, so plan to build my workflow visually, but it seems inefficient to add conditionals to each keyword to support each platform. 

Is there a more efficient way to go about building and maintaining this Workflow without code?

For example, there are a bunch of previously web-only outputs that are now supported in the Twitter for Mac client, and when I add them to the workflow, it seems like adding conditionals for each platform is the wrong/least efficient way to do this.

1357101322_CleanShot2020-09-02at11_18_53.png.559997cdddb44ffa0c5974a40cbcfb10.png

Thanks.

2 hours ago, chris said:

Is there a more efficient way to go about building and maintaining this Workflow without code?

Maybe.

Architecturally, the sensible way to do it is to set all the URLs (compose, follow etc.) once based on your platform variable. You could do that with a single Conditional connected to a bunch of Arg & Vars that set platform-specific URLs for searching, composing etc.

You'd need to set another variable after each keyword that specifies (by variable name) which URL it needs, route everything through the single Conditional, then on the other side, use a JSON config to insert the right URL into a single Open URL action.

13 minutes ago, deanishe said:

You'd need to set another variable after each keyword that specifies (by variable name) which URL it needs, route everything through the single Conditional, then on the other side, use a JSON config to insert the right URL into a single Open URL action.

Do you have a starter workflow or an example that I could use to move in this direction? I can work my way around a JSON template, but am not sure how to configure the workflow to use it.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, chris said:

Do you have a starter workflow or an example that I could use to move in this direction?

Sorry, no. I do as much as possible in code. When I write something like that, it's just a bunch of Script Filters connected to a single Run Script/Open URL:

workflow.png.44d0e1c60ba0e7fb877675188e486c79.png

The built-in "Dynamic File Search" example workflow uses a JSON Config utility.

6 minutes ago, chris said:

I can work my way around a JSON template, but am not sure how to configure the workflow to use it.

You right-click on the element you want to configure, choose "Copy Configuration", then paste it into the JSON Config.

1 hour ago, deanishe said:

...it's just a bunch of Script Filters connected to a single Run Script/Open URL:

workflow.png.44d0e1c60ba0e7fb877675188e486c79.png

The built-in "Dynamic File Search" example workflow uses a JSON Config utility.

Would you be willing to share your Habitica Tasks Workflow with me so I can see how you set that up? Thanks again!

4 minutes ago, chris said:

Would you be willing to share your Habitica Tasks Workflow with me so I can see how you set that up? Thanks again!

https://git.deanishe.net/deanishe/alfred-habitica

Not sure how useful it’ll be, as it’s basically all Python code. And big and complex for a workflow. The actual workflow is in the src directory.

Essentially, it’s written as a command-line program that emits Alfred JSON, and every Script Filter result outputs a set of command-line arguments to the same program. Control flow is directed by workflow/environment variables set via the generated JSON (primarily the action variable).

It also won't do anything at all until you give it your Habitica creds :)

1 hour ago, nikivi said:

Very curious why you moved to Habitica as I know you used 2Do (which imo is amazing)

I didn't get on with 2Do. It's very important to me that my todo app is scriptable, so I can mess around scripting it instead of actually doing the tasks…

I kinda almost really like Things, but it has some really bad issues. But Habitica is something different because of the gamification. My work is generally mind-numbingly boring, and I find that daft tricks, like divvying it up into pomodoros or setting it up so I win a virtual magic sword are somehow more motivating that lots of euros…

Do you know Vikunja? I think that has the potential to be a fantastic todo app.

Edited by deanishe
7 hours ago, deanishe said:

important to me that my todo app is scriptable

I actually started to help Fahad (2Do dev) out with adding a backend to 2Do. Written in Django. I hope 2Do gets some scriptability in soon time but I find 2Do so fast and nice to use (due to it onscreen keys like `n` for new tasks, `t` for due date today, `y` for tomorrow etc). That adding/moving tasks is very fast already.

One thing I do want to write though is a proper GitHub client because https://www.realartists.com/blog/ship-20.html was amazing but it died. The code for it is on GitHub but it requires a big backend component in C# that I don't want to touch. Most of my tasks are either GitHub issues or personal todos so it would cover everything. GitHub projects are underutilized as task managers even for teams that don't deal with code. Just lacks a nice fast client.

Do you know Vikunja?

Looks nice and I love that is has API. Although one thing is I personally hate using web interface for anything productive (note taking, todos).

virtual magic sword are somehow more motivating

For me I think the social network aspect of Habitica kind of interesting. I think it might be nice to challenge yourself and your SO for example of who gets a better sword. 🙃

-- 

Apologize for drift away from your question, Chris. I'm just too curious about what tools people are using and what they like/hate about them. 

Edited by nikivi