Add a button to open cache directory of the workflow

nikivi

I can avoid needing this feature if there was a way to know which Alfred workflow am I currently looking at in Alfred Preferences. So if I have this open:

image.thumb.png.0b58621bfe610605340115e60e38344a.png

I can run some applescript and it will return me its bundle id (nikivi.mind in above case).

And then I can with Keyboard Maestro macro open instantly its debugger log in my preferred editor or Console which would be amazing. 😻

Edited by nikivi

Would be handy for development/debugging: the cache and data directories are fairly well hidden.

46 minutes ago, nikivi said:

Trying to take screenshots I also came across some weird UI things due to Big Sur.

image.thumb.png.666d60d8a0734cd9777e65cdb43b45e3.png

Could you post this in the Big Sur Bugs forum (if it's not a dupe)?

It doesn't really belong in the middle of an unrelated feature request thread.

18 hours ago, nikivi said:

I can run some applescript and it will return me its bundle id (nikivi.mind in above case).

That seems like the best solution. It both allows for more flexibility and doesn’t clutter the interface with something novices don’t need to worry about.

13 hours ago, deanishe said:

They do when you need a log file or some cached data to debug an issue they're having.

True, but that’s a rarer occurrence and it could be solved just by telling them to open /path/to/cache/dir or cp /path/to/log/file "${HOME}/Desktop" and get the log file.

Having to choose one the AppleScript solution seems more useful, is my point. It’s also more future proof and versatile in that it’s independent of the path themselves. An ideal AppleScript solution might even lead to queries like “give me all the default environment variables”.

On 9/13/2020 at 8:56 PM, vitor said:

True, but that’s a rarer occurrence

It's a super-common occurrence with my workflows because they all have log files.

just by telling them to open /path/to/cache/dir or cp /path/to/log/file "${HOME}/Desktop" and get the log file.

Asking users to run shell commands is a fundamentally fraught proposition. Look at all the screw-ups in the DownVid thread.

Having to choose one the AppleScript solution seems more useful, is my point

It  still requires running a script. My preference would be for context-menu items ("Reveal Workflow Cache in Finder" + "Reveal Workflow Data in Finder") that are greyed out if the directories don't exist.