Simple WireGuard VPN workflow

WireGuard Control

Simple workflow that toggle on/off any existing WireGuard VPN tunnels.

The workflow is written in bash, so it should be pretty robust against OS updates etc.

New release

Version 1.1.2 released!

Improvements:

1) VPN connections are sorted so the results are always in the same order.

2) Filtering of the results, by user input, enabled.

3) WireGuard is now spelled correctly (Capital G).

Download:

https://alfred.app/workflows/christianolsen/wireguard-control/

Instructions:

Use the keyword "wguard" to activate the workflow.

demo-2.gif.044502bae651fc02df125ed90ae3d808.gif

Edited by ChristianOlsen
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@ChristianOlsen did this stop working with a recent version of WireGuard? When I attempt it now, Alfred seems to "forget" that it's a custom action, and it wants to search for the keyword. (It starts out with the Wireguard icon.)

Debugging shows this:

[22:51:00.130] Wireguard Control[Script Filter] Queuing argument '(null)'
[22:51:00.221] Wireguard Control[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[22:51:00.223] Wireguard Control[Script Filter] {"items":[]}

Not sure what's changed on my end since it was working last. (And, unfortunately, I forgot I had it installed so haven't been using it much.) I tried deleting and reinstalling and get the same behaviour. Thanks!

image.thumb.png.3ee420f24510d4ce511bdcf686e4215c.png

On 4/6/2021 at 10:56 PM, punkypangolin said:

@ChristianOlsen did this stop working with a recent version of WireGuard? When I attempt it now, Alfred seems to "forget" that it's a custom action, and it wants to search for the keyword. (It starts out with the Wireguard icon.)

Debugging shows this:

[22:51:00.130] Wireguard Control[Script Filter] Queuing argument '(null)'
[22:51:00.221] Wireguard Control[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[22:51:00.223] Wireguard Control[Script Filter] {"items":[]}

Not sure what's changed on my end since it was working last. (And, unfortunately, I forgot I had it installed so haven't been using it much.) I tried deleting and reinstalling and get the same behaviour. Thanks!

image.thumb.png.3ee420f24510d4ce511bdcf686e4215c.png

I'm running v.1.0.12, which is the newest version in the Mac app store. Everything works fine for me! What version of Wiregaurd are you running? Do you have Wiregaurd tunnels installed?

The fact that {"items":[]} is empty means that no Wiregaurd tunnels were found!

Edited by ChristianOlsen
  • 2 months later...
On 4/10/2021 at 9:54 PM, ChristianOlsen said:

I'm running v.1.0.12, which is the newest version in the Mac app store. Everything works fine for me! What version of Wiregaurd are you running? Do you have Wiregaurd tunnels installed?

The fact that {"items":[]} is empty means that no Wiregaurd tunnels were found!

Sorry, Christian. Missed the notification and forgot about this. I'm running the latest of everything. Wireguard 1.0.13 (24), macOS 11.4.

The empty items is strange, as I definitely have a Wireguard tunnel installed and active and functional. (I use it every day, and know it's working.) I get no response for this though:

❯ scutil --nc list                                                                                                 ─╯
Available network connection services in the current set (*=enabled):

So… my tunnel is somehow not showing up where it's expected? I've done a bit of googling and I'm not seeing anything obvious. Doesn't seem like an issue with your workflow, though, so that's good (for the workflow) :) Only thing I'm wondering is if there's some conflict with my other settings (Docker, Lulu, network profile / custom DNS, … maybe something else I'm not thinking about). But that'll be an exploration for another day!

Edited by punkypangolin
adding speculation; changed a word.
1 hour ago, punkypangolin said:

Sorry, Christian. Missed the notification and forgot about this. I'm running the latest of everything. Wireguard 1.0.13 (24), macOS 11.4.

The empty items is strange, as I definitely have a Wireguard tunnel installed and active and functional. (I use it every day, and know it's working.) I get no response for this though:

❯ scutil --nc list                                                                                                 ─╯
Available network connection services in the current set (*=enabled):

So… my tunnel is somehow not showing up where it's expected? I've done a bit of googling and I'm not seeing anything obvious. Doesn't seem like an issue with your workflow, though, so that's good (for the workflow) :) Only thing I'm wondering is if there's some conflict with my other settings (Docker, Lulu, network profile / custom DNS, … maybe something else I'm not thinking about). But that'll be an exploration for another day!

Does your WireGuard tunnel show up in Preferences-->Network?

I must admit that I'm not really an expect in VPN connections! If you haven't been able to find anything on google, I probably won't either. Sorry!

On 7/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, ChristianOlsen said:

Does your WireGuard tunnel show up in Preferences-->Network?

It does. As far as I can tell, it works exactly how it should. I've used Wireguard on a few different computers and … yeah. Looks totally normal :)

If I have the time and this frustrates me enough, I'll eventually try to track it down and update this thread, in case anybody else has this same issue. Thanks again!