option to disable system text replacement

Alan He

I have setting system text replacement, like qq. system will replace with number 123456789.

I hava setting a workflow and key word set as qq. when I trigger with qq in alfred's input , text will replace,It's very inconvenient unless I click esc.

So I hope alfred can support option to disable system text replacement

First of all, the reason for using system text replacement is that it does not require some prefixes, which is more convenient

image.thumb.png.944521883d831ba27ef2fed65b12e2f9.png

image.thumb.png.ba56ae5b46dc66976a8cf96d4672392e.png

Edited by Alan He

@Alan He Alfred can't override macOS's own text expansion, so your best bet is to change your macOS text expansion to something less likely to be accidentally triggered (e.g. replace "qq" with "!qq" with an exclamation mark prefix), or disable it altogether as you can create these as snippets in Alfred.

Cheers,
Vero

Understand what you mean, then this is the only way.

The reason why system text replacement is still needed is that I need to consider the support on iOS for some texts, so that it can be used across multiple types of devices.

Therefore, the system level and Alfred's Snippet are complementary to a certain extent to solve text replacement

• 6 months later...

Same issue here!! I set up a lot of short texts, so it's very annoying for me.

In other Apps, like Google Chrome for example, go to the menu bar and choose "Edit > Substitutions > Show Substitutions > Text Replacement" and deselect Text Replacement. This could turn off the text replacement feature.

But, there' no menu bar show with alfred's input box!

I can find the same menu with mouse right click on it, and can be disable temporary, but it won't save! Text replacement will re-enable after reboot.

Can't find a solution....

52 minutes ago, xforce said:

Text replacement will re-enable after reboot.

I didn't know that.

There must be some setting we can change with defaults.

EDIT: Nope. It seems it's up to every application to implement persistence itself. Forgetting your changes when you quit the app is the default behaviour.

As a sort of workaround, you could use my script to export your macOS text replacements to Alfred snippets. Then you can turn off text replacements globally, but still use them cross-platform, and let Alfred manage which apps they are and aren't expanded in.

Edited by deanishe

1 hour ago, deanishe said:

Then you can turn off text replacements globally

Thanks @deanishe

I couldn't find a way to turn off text replacements globally. Could you tell me how?

I searched a post about this:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/231336/how-can-i-globally-disable-text-replacement

Tried, but no luck. The command seems not working. I'm using macOS Big Sur.