Add a magnifying glass like Spotlight.

The magnifying glass is good because it keeps query text aligned with the search results. I could stretch the padding of the icons on the left side so that the text aligns better, but this wouldn't look as good. Also it'd be nice if the icon of what you're opening would appear on the right side of the search bar.

mac-os_spotlight-light.thumb.jpeg.744220b7c84e169c6c50b6f0190df891.jpeg

I’d be against this change. The magnifying glass adds nothing in way of information. I’d even say it’s misleading, because Alfred can do way more than search for things (which is what the magnifying glass implies). Furthermore, I don’t think Alfred should be trying to look more like Spotlight, quite the opposite. In fact, Alfred looked like this before Spotlight did.

18 hours ago, lukerooneyio said:

I could stretch the padding of the icons on the left side so that the text aligns better, but this wouldn't look as good.

Conversely, I think the magnifying glass makes it look worse.

18 hours ago, lukerooneyio said:

Also it'd be nice if the icon of what you're opening would appear on the right side of the search bar.

Showing the icon on the right side in that situation doesn’t convey any extra information. On the other hand, Alfred does show an icon in that position in certain situations, and it’s useful then; making it show every time would be confusing.

Hmmm... but couldn’t you say the Alfred icon that’s present by default doesn’t provide useful information?

It also draws your eyes away from where you’re going to start typing.

4 hours ago, lukerooneyio said:

but couldn’t you say the Alfred icon that’s present by default doesn’t provide useful information?

It provides a differentiator to new users. If you’re trying out or use several launchers (which tend to be customisable), it hints at the one you’re using. And that static icon doesn’t cause the confusion I’ve mentioned above.

4 hours ago, lukerooneyio said:

It also draws your eyes away from where you’re going to start typing.

I disagree that after a day of use that icon would draw attention enough to be distracting, but then again I’ve been using a dark theme without the hat since the early days of version 3.