Big Sur 11.1 issues with Alfred launching and other Apple Apps

R C

This morning I updated my MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) to MacOS 11.1, after which Alfred (4.3_1205) will not launch.

I followed instructions here:

and here: https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/reset-alfred/

But they did not work.

If I launch with the old preferences in ~/Library/Alfred the processes shows "Not Responding" in Activity Monitor.

If I remove all permissions in the Security and Privacy settings and completely delete ~/Library/Alfred, it will launch into the first-time setup screen.

No matter what I do there --- entering my license key, migrating settings, skipping setup, etc. --- Alfred will relaunch, but it does not appear in the system bar and does not respond to keyboard shortcuts. I can kill it in Activity Monitor (it does not say Not Responding) and relaunch it to no effect.

In brief: with existing settings Alfred hangs and is "Not Responding"; resetting / reinstalling Alfred gets me to the first-time setup, but I cannot proceed from there.

EDIT: This problem appears to be intermittent and coupled to other problems. I noticed that Mail, Messages and Spotlight are also broken. But restarting can cause everything to start working again until it doesn't; once restart (without 'reopen windows' checked) led to Alfred popping up as normal, Mail working correctly, etc. So I am not 100% sure how reproduce the conditions that lead to Alfred not launching.

Edited by R C

• Andrew changed the title to Big Sur 11.1 issues with Alfred launching and other Apple Apps
3 hours ago, R C said:

I noticed that Mail, Messages and Spotlight are also broken

This unfortunately sounds like a wider issue outside of Alfred's control. I updated our M1 mac to Big Sur 11.1 and everything went smoothly, Alfred 4.3 works fine, as does Mail, Messages and Spotlight.

Could you try creating temporarily creating a new user profile, switching to that user, and seeing if Alfred starts up fine there? As it could be an issue with your main Profile, and an incompatible app you've installed causing wider issues.

Cheers,

Andrew

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Could you try creating temporarily creating a new user profile, switching to that user, and seeing if Alfred starts up fine there? As it could be an issue with your main Profile, and an incompatible app you've installed causing wider issues.

That works as expected; after initial setup Alfred re-launches just fine.

I, too think that I have stepped on some larger Big Sur bug, so perhaps this is less of a bug report and more of a warning... if Alfred won't launch after updating to 11.1, try rebooting a few times until it works 🙂

I had the same problem starting today with my new M1 MacBook Air, and ultimately I discovered the problem (for me, at least) lies in running the app natively; I fixed it by forcing both Alfred and Alfred Preferences to run under Rosetta 2. Here's how:

1. Open your Finder and navigate to Applications, find Alfred and right-click > "Get Info".
  2. Check the box that says "Open using Rosetta".
  3. Right-click on the Alfred app again, then click "Show Package Contents".
  4. Navigate to Content > Preferences.
  5. Right-click on the Alfred Preferences app, select "Get Info", and check the box that says "Open using Rosetta".
  6. Launch Alfred.

This won't be of any use to anyone encountering this issue on an Intel Mac, but I figured I'd share my solution since this is the only forum thread about the issue I've seen. Hope this helps!

While Alfred runs just fine under Rosetta 2, this shouldn't change the app search or launching behaviour in any way, so what you discovered as a fix is likely just circumstantial rather than related.

I would recommend against switching Alfred to Rosetta in this way if you're on an M1 Mac, and in our testing here, Alfred is working fine natively on Big Sur 11.1.

Well the only reason I say it’s an M1-specific bug is that it worked fine on my Intel MacBook running 11.1 until I migrated to my new laptop yesterday. But I’ve encountered a couple other small issues with Big Sur on M1, including DaisyDisk not opening without forcing Rosetta (in a near-identical fashion to Alfred), so I’m willing to chalk it up to a Big Sur bug. 

In any case, just figured I’d share how I fixed it. Hopefully macOS 11.2 is a bit more stable, I’ve heard it’s all about bug fixes. Not brave enough to install the beta on my brand new machine, whereas I normally would go ahead and try it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alfred seems to be running fine for the most part but I can’t open apps like Messages and FaceTime through Alfred. My other apps like Photoshop and Pages are easily accessible but I just have no idea how to navigate this issue. I’m on an M1 MBP with Big Sur installed