Jump to content

More faithful clipboard history


Recommended Posts

Many applications put multiple types of entries onto the pasteboard. Alfred, however seems to save only one of those. This creates unexpected behavior like the one described by @deanishe here:

 

I can imagine that an argument can be made that "it is not a bug, it is just that Alfred's clipboard manager is not as feature rich". And for that reason, I'm opening this thread as a feature request :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deanishe said:

to save space

Very justifiable!!

 

It's just that the single-representation approach breaks my workflow (sounds too much xkcd-like I know 😂)

Cleanshot is a screenshot app with some handy features. I'm so used to just pasting the screenshot without thinking whether it is the browser or finder. That works because it puts a file as well as the png and tiff data onto the pasteboard. I keep getting tripped over "Why isn't Alfred pasting the screenshot I copied just a while ago?" and then "oh yeah, cuz now it is just a file".

 

I didn't post on the forums before as I felt it would be too entitled to ask for it 😝
But when I saw a post, I couldn't resist requesting the "feature" :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Pennyworth said:

"Why isn't Alfred pasting the screenshot I copied just a while ago?" and then "oh yeah, cuz now it is just a file".

 

What app isn't paste working in? Normally, image apps handle pasted image files the same as pasted image data.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr Pennyworth said:

Works for this forum and google docs though

 

Pasting images didn't use to work on the forum in Firefox, so that's new. No idea if a Firefox or IPB update fixed it.

 

Personally, I'd be inclined to blame Firefox: I've had a lot of issues with Firefox and the clipboard, none of which I've ever had in Safari or Chrome.

 

Does pasting directly from the clipboard (i.e. not via Alfred's history) work?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, deanishe said:

Does pasting directly from the clipboard (i.e. not via Alfred's history) work?

1) Copy image file in finder -> paste in firefox (Hangouts) works!
2) Copy something else -> Use Alfred's clipboard history to paste the same file from (1) -> doesn't work!

 

It always works in chrome though. So looks like something wonky with firefox!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

+10!

 

Just wanted to add my vote here as well. I run into this issue daily with a design app I use called Sketch which Alfred mistakenly pastes a set of copied objects as an image instead of the individual objects.

 

This issue, plus the "release to paste" behavior mentioned in this post are the reasons I still use Launchbar as my daily clipboard manager.

 

Would love to see Alfred gain these features.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Alfred0 said:

Alfred mistakenly pastes a set of copied objects as an image instead of the individual objects.


Just to be clear, this is not what's happening. Alfred doesn't decide what gets pasted, Sketch does because it's the receiving application. The issue is that Alfred isn't saving the Sketch object data to its history in the first place, only the image representation.

 

Same result in practice, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, deanishe said:

Just to be clear, this is not what's happening. Alfred doesn't decide what gets pasted, Sketch does because it's the receiving application. The issue is that Alfred isn't saving the Sketch object data to its history in the first place, only the image representation.

 

That’s a fair point, however I was framing it more from the users perspective i.e. Alfred is the app that decided not to copy all clipboard types due it's efficiency first approach.

 

As an end user though I have no clue about this and only know that when I try to paste an affected object type using the clipboard manager the result is not what I think it should... moving this more along the spectrum and closer to a bug than feature request.

Edited by Alfred0
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alfred0 said:

moving this more along the spectrum and closer to a bug than feature request

 

It's a feature: Alfred is behaving exactly as designed.

 

Based on Andrew's comment above, it sounds like Alfred isn't going to stop discarding clipboard data, so there are always going to be "missing" data issues like the one you're having.

 

If you don't like that philosophy (I don't), you might be better served with a clipboard history manager that doesn't prune clipboard data (I use Copied).

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, deanishe said:

If you don't like that philosophy (I don't), you might be better served with a clipboard history manager that doesn't prune clipboard data (I use Copied).

 

Thx for the tip, i'll check it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...