Add Option for Users to Define the Default Navigation Escape Behavior - A Feature Request

Jasondm007

@Andrew The new view stack option, which allows users to define the escape behavior of the Browse object, was a brilliant addition to version 4.3.2! And, I was wondering if you'd be willing to take things a litte further?

Namely, would you consider adding this option to Alfred's default navigation settings (File Search > Navigation)? 

When using Alfred's normal and quick file search modes, I regularly find myself dipping into a document or a folder to find something, and then wanting to escape right back into the query (because I didn't find what I was looking for). However, when you escape from those modes, at the moment, Alfred closes altogether - requiring the user to open Alfred's search again, etc. Personally, I'd love to be able to just escape back into the query (that'd be enough to make me ecstatic)! However, I could also imagine you expanding things a bit.

For example, I could imagine a drop down in the File Search > Navigation menu that provides a few options, such as: (1) Escape Everything (which is how it currently operates), (2) Escape to Query, and (3) Escape to a Workflow - wherein the user could select, or write in, an external trigger from one of their workflows.

Thanks for your consideration!

Thanks for the feedback, I sometimes add options into workflows first to see how well they are received, and how well they work.

I already have a note to bring this same option from the Browse in Alfred to the default navigation options, but at this point, it will likely remain a simple checkbox to keep this complexity of understanding this feature low.

Cheers,

Andrew

@Andrew I'm not sure if this is a bug or a related feature request, but I was wondering if the "Browse in Alfred" object's new stacking option could escape back to the last visible Alfred window?

For example, if you have a Junction or Replace object between a File Filter or something else that you've got connected to the Browse object, the new stacking option won't escape back to the File Filter (e.g., (1) File Filter, (2) Replace, (3) Browse in Alfred).

Thanks again!

It stacks on the currently visible window, so you need to make sure the Alfred window is visible. To do this, edit the connection after the filter and set it to not close the window after actioning. You'll get a square instead of a circle on the connection.

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 12.01.02.png

The above is an example with a 1 second delay object added just to test the stacking works ok.

Just to add to this, the Browse in Alfred object is able to veto the automatic closing of the File Filter action if it is directly connected, but when there are objects between, you need to specify the behaviour in the connection configuration.

@Andrew Thanks for the explanation!

I should have thought to test whether that window behavior option had any bearing on the "Browse in Alfred" stacking option. In fact, I didn't realize that it could even carry through an intermediary object, such as a Junction or Replace object. That's great news (and everything is working perfectly fine now)!

Thanks a ton!