Alfred doesn't open all folders but is ticked in "Essentials"?

So I was trying to search for a folder that I use regularly and is in the "Favourites" column of finder (i.e. it's a folder that should definitely be searchable).

I know I could click on Finder and click on the folder itself but I was testing it out so I could get an idea. It's an issue because it certainly should be searching for it... is there a reason why it doesn't?

Also, I noticed that on clicking "Advanced" (in Alfred 4 Preferences > Features > Essentials), there's a way to change "User-defined file types to show in the default results" but I'm not sure what this means exactly? Especially as when I try to add something, it's just text and not a selection of folders/files. Can someone help me with this?

I'm a complete NEWBIE with Alfred and even more so with coding so please bear with me - any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks

Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 11.59.38.jpg

@Dey Welcome to the forum!

Folders, provided they're stored locally on your Mac and they're correctly indexed, should be returned in your results when you have them checked in the Default Results file types.

First, I'd recommend removing Text files and Documents from your default results and taking a look at this intro guide to searching using Alfred:

https://www.alfredapp.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/beginners-guide-to-alfred-searching-your-mac-and-the-web/

If your folders are not found, take a look at the troubleshooting guide here, which will walk you through the steps to find your files. It may be that the folders are outside of the search scope or that your Mac's index is incomplete. It's all covered here:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/indexing/

Let us know how you get on :)

Cheers,
Vero

@Vero Thanks!

I've done the troubleshooting and it came up with these errors: 

Check direct file metadata...

⚠️ Direct metadata is missing, this file is likely not indexed by macOS

Check mdls file metadata...

macOS metadata missing essential items

Troubleshooting failed

This folder was made a while ago and I did re-index Spotlight after it was made so it's unusual why this message comes up. Anyway, I've followed the steps to re-index through Alfred Preferences > Advanced > Rebuild macOS Metadata.

I'm on Terminal, as in the guide, and typed my password. I get a message (see screenshot) that says I can press any key to finish but this was literally a few seconds after and I was expecting an hour. Does this mean it's finished or should I wait until I get a notification of some sort?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2021-03-12 at 13.28.34.jpg

@Dey MacOS won't actively notify you, but you can check Spotlight, where you should see a progress bar in the top left below the text field.

Which version of macOS are you using? The Spotlight-V100 folder not found seems odd. Can you also confirm whether you're on the latest version of Alfred (4.3.2)?

Cheers,
Vero

3 hours ago, Dey said:

Especially as when I try to add something, it's just text and not a selection of folders/files.

Per the instructions beneath the list: "Drop files above to add the type for that file."

The text entry is to allow "advanced" usage.

Edited by deanishe
2 minutes ago, Dey said:

What exactly does "User-defined file types to show in the default results" mean?

It means any additional types of files you want to include in Alfred's default search results. Like, there are already checkboxes for Folders, Documents, Text Files etc., but if you want to add something more exotic, say Saved Searches, you add it to the user-defined types.