Alfred or Keyboard Maestro >> extract number from spreadsheet onto clipboard

Hello all!

Hoping some experienced users can guide me on this – not sure what would be the appropriate/easier tool.

I receive queries on an hourly basis from "clients", which – to process their query further – requires their "client number". 

Assume I am able to compile a simple Excel/Numbers spreadsheet, that has two columns:

Column 1 | Column 2

Name  | Client number

Ideally, would it be possible to invoke an Alfred workflow, and start typing a name, to then have a list (extracted from the spreadsheet) start appearing – and when narrowed down sufficiently – I hit enter, and the associated "Client number" is pasted onto my clipboard? 

What is the sense here – could I explore how to cobble something together in Alfred – or would this type of thing be more at home in KM??

Edited by Cassady
  • Cassady changed the title to Alfred or Keyboard Maestro >> extract number from spreadsheet onto clipboard

@Cassady Can you turn your spreadsheet into a .csv file? How frequently will this information change or be updated?

If you give a little more details as to where that data is, whether it changes or is static after a while (e.g. do you have a dozen pre-set up clients or thousands of changing ones), it'll be easier for the community to lend a hand :)

Cheers,
Vero

15 minutes ago, Vero said:

@Cassady Can you turn your spreadsheet into a .csv file? How frequently will this information change or be updated?

If you give a little more details as to where that data is, whether it changes or is static after a while (e.g. do you have a dozen pre-set up clients or thousands of changing ones), it'll be easier for the community to lend a hand :)

Cheers,
Vero

Dear Vero – thanks so much for the quick reply! 

I would create it from existing data – so can have it in whichever format/style – could certainly do a .csv file. 

It would be static for pretty much the entire year. Each February, I would add new names (and optionally, remove old details). 

The datasheet would probably consist of about 2k names (maybe a bit less/more), and a related "client number" (so only two columns). 

On 4/15/2021 at 3:33 PM, giovanni said:

you can import this list into a "list filter" object (which accepts a CSV input), set your client number as the argument, then link to a "Copy to Clipboard" output. or you can use @deanishe's I-sheet-you-not workflow 

Oh WOW. Thanks for this – will play around with both your options – but Dean's looks really good/powerful!

[EDIT] >> Installed and using. Thank you for pointing me to the ISYN workflow – just what I was looking for! Plenty of time going to be saved, daily, for me!

Edited by Cassady