[Solution Provided] Alfred can not find some files in OneDrive

Hi,

I am using Alfred 4.3.3 on macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

My Alfred cannot find some files recently, previously it worked perfectly.

Those files are inside a folder that is synced by Dropbox or OneDrive. All the files are stored locally, spotlight can find and open them without troubles. There is more than 800 subfolders in that folder. Other folders in the cloud drive directory can be searched by Alfred.

I followed the official troubleshooting process, the diagnostic tool shows no problems with a file that cannot be found by Alfred (log attached below).

I tried to rebuild the metadata several times (with full disk access), in the middle of the rebuilding process, Alfred can find some files, shortly after the rebuilding ended, Alfred cannot find those files again.

If you open a file recently, Alfred can find it.

mdfind can find them.

Please let me know if anyone has any insight. Thanks!

Starting Diagnostics...

File: 'Smith et al. - Unknown - OFFLINE BILINGUAL WORD VECTORS, ORTHOGONAL TRANSFORMATIONS AND THE INVERTED SOFTMAX.pdf'
Path: '/Users/stay/OneDrive/Zotero/storage/SCMMWDJE'

-----------------------------------------------------------

Check file cache database...

File cache integrity is ok

Check if file is readable...

Alfred has permissions to read this file.

Check if volume '/' is indexed by macOS...

Indexing is enabled on this drive

Check direct file metadata...

Direct metadata available

Display Name: Smith et al. - Unknown - OFFLINE BILINGUAL WORD VECTORS, ORTHOGONAL TRANSFORMATIONS AND THE INVERTED SOFTMAX.pdf
 Other Names: 
Content Type: com.adobe.pdf
   Last Used: 

Check mdls file metadata...

Metadata contains required items

_kMDItemDisplayNameWithExtensions      = "Smith et al. - Unknown - OFFLINE BILINGUAL WORD VECTORS, ORTHOGONAL TRANSFORMATIONS AND THE INVERTED SOFTMAX.pdf"
kMDItemContentCreationDate             = 2019-09-22 14:57:26 +0000
kMDItemContentCreationDate_Ranking     = 2019-09-22 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate         = 2019-09-22 14:57:26 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate_Ranking = 2019-09-22 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemContentType                     = "com.adobe.pdf"
kMDItemContentTypeTree                 = (
    "com.adobe.pdf",
    "public.data",
    "public.item",
    "public.composite-content",
    "public.content"
)
kMDItemCreator                         = "LaTeX with hyperref package"
kMDItemDateAdded                       = 2021-04-15 01:20:11 +0000
kMDItemDateAdded_Ranking               = 2021-04-15 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName                     = "Smith et al. - Unknown - OFFLINE BILINGUAL WORD VECTORS, ORTHOGONAL TRANSFORMATIONS AND THE INVERTED SOFTMAX.pdf"
kMDItemDocumentIdentifier              = 0
kMDItemEncodingApplications            = (
    "pdfTeX-1.40.17"
)
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate             = 2019-09-22 14:57:26 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate                  = 2019-09-22 14:57:26 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode                   = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags                   = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon                 = 0
kMDItemFSInvisible                     = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden             = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery                  = 0
kMDItemFSLabel                         = 0
kMDItemFSName                          = "Smith et al. - Unknown - OFFLINE BILINGUAL WORD VECTORS, ORTHOGONAL TRANSFORMATIONS AND THE INVERTED SOFTMAX.pdf"
kMDItemFSNodeCount                     = 530915
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID                  = 20
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID                   = 501
kMDItemFSSize                          = 530915
kMDItemFSTypeCode                      = ""
kMDItemInterestingDate_Ranking         = 2019-09-22 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemKind                            = "PDF document"
kMDItemLogicalSize                     = 530915
kMDItemNumberOfPages                   = 10
kMDItemPageHeight                      = 792
kMDItemPageWidth                       = 612
kMDItemPhysicalSize                    = 532480
kMDItemSecurityMethod                  = "None"
kMDItemVersion                         = "1.5"

Check file is in search scope...

File exists within Alfred's default search scope

Troubleshooting passed

@Trey Could you try popping a brand new simple text file in that folder and see if it is found? (leave it a few mins to index). That will at least see if that folder is being indexed at the moment.

Also, are you using Alfred's file search mode (by spacebar prefixing your Alfred query)?

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

@Trey Could you try popping a brand new simple text file in that folder and see if it is found? (leave it a few mins to index). That will at least see if that folder is being indexed at the moment.

Also, are you using Alfred's file search mode (by spacebar prefixing your Alfred query)?

Yes, the newly added files (or files that I recently opened) immediately show up in Alfred's search results. In this case, the old unsearchable files in the very folder remain unsearchable.

Yes, I always used the file search mode.

Edited by Trey

@Trey if you create a simple workflow File Filter with the scope of that filter set to this specific folder only, is anything found?

Alfred does queries to the macOS metadata, but the top level query can be quite complex to refine the results to your specific configuration. Creating a file filter will create a much more targeted and simple filter over the macOS metadata. Perhaps also try fiddling with the file filter to narrow down file types to see if you can work around what is happening under macOS' hood.

32 minutes ago, Andrew said:

@Trey if you create a simple workflow File Filter with the scope of that filter set to this specific folder only, is anything found?

Alfred does queries to the macOS metadata, but the top level query can be quite complex to refine the results to your specific configuration. Creating a file filter will create a much more targeted and simple filter over the macOS metadata. Perhaps also try fiddling with the file filter to narrow down file types to see if you can work around what is happening under macOS' hood.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried using the default "Dynamic File Search" and "File filter from keyword and reveal" workflows. When the folder is specified the results remain the same - the newly added file can be found but the old files cannot.

There are also cases that a folder cannot be found by Alfred (again, it can be found by Spotlight), but a newly added file in it can be found.

Edited by Trey
  • 2 months later...

@MindSurgeon Have you followed the same steps as the original post? 

The first steps to follow when results seem unexpected is to rebuild your Mac's metadata. It's usually because the data being provided by macOS is incorrect or missing (even if it appears correct in the current Spotlight cache), and rebuilding ensures that all this information is refreshed by the OS.

Even if you believe you've already reindexed, please follow the steps below specifically (as it involves deleting a cache first and ensuring Terminal has suitable permissions).

• First, please pop open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access and add Terminal
  • Once you've done this, go to Alfred's Advanced preferences, choose "Rebuild macOS Metadata"
  • Ensure that you check "Delete .Spotlight-V100 before reindex"
  • Follow the steps in Terminal, and keep a close eye for any error messages relating to your index.

Please let me know if there are any errors. Otherwise, if it proceeds smoothly, you may need to wait up to an hour for the reindex to complete. Once this is done, make your searches again and see if your results are more as expected.

If your issue persists, please provide the following information:

• Your diagnostics file (email to info@), by typing ?diagnostics into Alfred and attaching the resulting file
  • Examples of the File Troubleshooting reports for the files you cannot find using Alfred
  • Details of exactly what you're typing into Alfred and what results you are expecting to see

Cheers,

Vero

Hi, I'd like to confirm that after all the steps in the previous thread. I still wasn't able to fix the search function, and needed to switch to Spotlight. My conclusion previously is that there's an issue with the index (since HoudahSpot also behaves weirdly), but the issue comes from nowhere (I wasn't doing major system updates) and cannot be fixed by rebuilding it.

• 4 months later...

@stevenrowan Could you please provide more information?

• Which version of Alfred and macOS are you using?
  • Is the issue recent, long-standing, and is it always present or intermittent?
  • Is the issue specific to files in OneDrive or anywhere else too?
  • What is the output of the File Troubleshooting tool if you drag those files in?
  • What are you typing in Alfred (e.g. are you using the spacebar prefix to search all files, or only for apps/folders)?

The more information you provide, the more likely we'll be able to help you out.

For files stored normally on your Mac, rebuilding properly (including granting Terminal Full Disk Access, and deleting the Spotlight-V100 file as you begin the rebuild) resolves any indexing issues, but if your issues are specific to OneDrive, something else may be at play.

Cheers,
Vero

thanks

alfred 4.6 (1266)
Mac OS monterey 12.0.1

for example i have a folder called cardiovascular in my onedrive folder
if i start alfred and type ff (find folder) and type cardiovascular, it does not find this folder

the same occurs with some individual files
alfred can find files and folders contained within the cardiovascular folder and it can find other folders in my onedrive
i have re-indexed the drive as per the instructions above
if i drag the folder into the alfred troubleshooter guide, i get the following message

Starting Diagnostics...

File: 'cardiovascular'
Path: '/Users/steven/OneDrive - NHS/CLINICAL/SPECIALITIES - clinical/General Medicine'

Check file cache database...

File cache integrity is ok

Check if file is readable...

Alfred has permissions to read this file.

Check if volume '/' is indexed by macOS...

Indexing is enabled on this drive

Check direct file metadata...

Direct metadata available

Display Name: cardiovascular
 Other Names: 
Content Type: public.folder
   Last Used: 2021-11-25 17:19:46 +0000

Check mdls file metadata...

Metadata contains required items

_kMDItemDisplayNameWithExtensions      = "cardiovascular"
kMDItemContentCreationDate             = 2021-11-22 22:39:36 +0000
kMDItemContentCreationDate_Ranking     = 2021-11-22 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate         = 2021-11-23 12:18:28 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate_Ranking = 2021-11-23 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemContentType                     = "public.folder"
kMDItemContentTypeTree                 = (
    "public.folder",
    "public.directory",
    "public.item"
)
kMDItemDateAdded                       = 2021-11-22 22:39:36 +0000
kMDItemDateAdded_Ranking               = 2021-11-22 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName                     = "cardiovascular"
kMDItemDocumentIdentifier              = 0
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate             = 2021-11-23 12:18:28 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate                  = 2021-11-22 22:39:36 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode                   = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags                   = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon                 = 0
kMDItemFSInvisible                     = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden             = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery                  = 0
kMDItemFSLabel                         = 0
kMDItemFSName                          = "cardiovascular"
kMDItemFSNodeCount                     = 17
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID                  = 20
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID                   = 501
kMDItemFSSize                          = 17
kMDItemFSTypeCode                      = ""
kMDItemInterestingDate_Ranking         = 2021-11-25 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemKind                            = "Folder"
kMDItemLastUsedDate                    = 2021-11-25 17:19:46 +0000
kMDItemLastUsedDate_Ranking            = 2021-11-25 00:00:00 +0000
kMDItemUseCount                        = 1
kMDItemUsedDates                       = (
    "2021-11-25 00:00:00 +0000"
)

Check file is in search scope...

File exists within Alfred's default search scope

Troubleshooting passed

@stevenrowan @KMadvisor Based on the limited information you've provided, I'm guessing you've both migrated your user data from a Time Machine backup or previous Mac to macOS Monterey?

If so you'll be experiencing the same issue as the users here, where the underlying index is broken. Please follow the instructions provided here carefully, including granting Terminal Full Disk Access and deleting the Spotlight-V100. 

This resolves the issue for all users, though some seem to report a delay of a day or two before the index fully resolves itself.

Cheers,
Vero

hello - yes, you are correct, i have recently migrated to a new SSD hard drive and used time machine to re-install all my data and settings

unfortunately your fix above has not fixed the problem

when i search for a file eg cholesterol, i get a list of files with that in the filename AND a folder called "cholesterol"

however, when i type FF to search for just the folder, nothing

Under my Alfred settings, and in the 'Features' tab, under 'Default Results' I have 'Folders' checked (I also have Applications checked as well). Additionally, the folders I am searching for are under the 'Search Scope' of a folder pathway I've defined. 

any help much appreciated

@stevenrowan When you say you're typing "ff", do you have a workflow with that keyword installed? 

I suspect you might be getting a little mixed up by tagging on to the end of a thread of someone else's different question; The original poster wasn't seeing any files returned AND they weren't on macOS Monterey (which is proving to be causing issues for users who migrated their preferences from a previous Mac), so please ignore anything above your first post in this thread.

If you're finding all your files in normal conditions but wish to use the built-in File Search, go to the Workflows tab, click the [+] at the bottom of the sidebar > Examples > Dynamic File Filter. This workflow is intended for searching inside the folder you select. 

If you just want to search for folders, choose the "Simple Folder Search" example, which uses the keyword "f".

brilliant! - fixed! - i didnt realise my FF command was a workflow which i must have downloaded in the past, and presumably no longer works. I have replaced it with the simple folder search you suggest, and i seem to be back up and running. This small thing makes a huge difference to my day to day workflow, so I really appreciate your prompt response and fix for me!

@LorenzoA Once Terminal appears, you'll need to type your password; The characters won't appear as you type, so just keep typing and press Return.

Terminal should then say "Indexing enabled" - if it says anything else, please share the message you get instead.

The full instructions are here in step 5:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/indexing/

Make sure you've granted Terminal Full Disk Access before you begin, as her the Indexing page instructions and my replies in this thread :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Vero, I followed your instructions and the terminal correctly says "Indexing enabled".

I then followed the steps in the link you posted, and double-checked Alfred has all the permissions needed. However, I'm still not able to access files that Spotlight is able to find. I'm a little lost :D 

When uploading one of these files in the File Search Troubleshooting, it tells me "File exists within Alfred's default search scope". The same file doesn't show up with the Find command, like it used to do on my previous Mac.

@LorenzoA It's unusual for a proper reindex with appropriate permissions for Terminal not to solve the issue, but you may want to have a look at Andrew's workaround here instead, which will set the search scope more explicitly, working around the macOS issue:

Cheers,
Vero

• 3 weeks later...

I started this thread April last year before the macOS Monterey came out. My issue wasn't solved even with numerous rebuilding index and reinstalling periodically for months. Other 3rd party search tools like HoudahSpot doesn't work either, only spotlight works. I gave up on solving this issues.

After the recent wave of macOS Monterey issues came out, I thought I might try upgrading the system to it. It can't be any worse, right?

After upgrading, no luck, the issue still exists. Then I tried to rebuilding the index in the new system, and reset the search scope to '\', it works magically!! I hope it doesn't break itself in the near future. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

don't know if it will help. Before upgrading to Monterey, my onedrive folder was in ~/OneDrive ... but after upgrading to Monterey... it has been moved to ~/Library/CloudStorage/ (but for backward compatibility, un symbolic link points from ~/OneDrive to ~/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive).... 

So I just added the ~/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive on the search scope and my OneDrive are back in Alfred search (tab Features) !

Hope this will help !

• Vero changed the title to [Solution Provided] Alfred can not find some files in OneDrive

For users who are popping into this thread from January 2022 onwards:

Microsoft recently changed the location of the OneDrive folder to be inside ~/Library/CloudStorage/ 

Adding the path above to your search scope in Alfred's Preferences > Default Results > Search Scope will allow you to once again find your OneDrive files.

Here's how you can access your Library folder if you're not familiar with accessing hidden folders.

Cheers,
Vero

1 hour ago, Vero said:

For users who are popping into this thread from January 2022 onwards:

Microsoft recently changed the location of the OneDrive folder to be inside ~/Library/CloudStorage/ 

Adding the path above to your search scope in Alfred's Preferences > Default Results > Search Scope will allow you to once again find your OneDrive files.

Here's how you can access your Library folder if you're not familiar with accessing hidden folders.

Cheers,
Vero

Proud of my small contribution 😉