Anaconda Navigator not found by Alfred

I have an app called Anaconda Navigator on my MacBook Pro.  However Alfred does not find it when I attempt to launch it via Alfred.

In my /Applications folder I have the following: Anaconda-Navigator.app -> /opt/anaconda3/Anaconda-Navigator.app

By contrast Alfred can find and launch the other apps in my /Applications folder.

One obvious difference is that the other applications actually reside in /Applications and are not links.

Thanks.  I just did invoke reload and "Reload Alfred Cache" from Alfred.

I waited a bit and then entered Anaconda Navigator into Alfred but it still couldn't find it, even though I added the folder where Anaconda Navigator can be launched.  

It is strange because that anaconda-navigator is actually a short Python script.

2 minutes ago, Richard Fuhr said:

It is strange because that anaconda-navigator is actually a short Python script

You said it was an application. Is it an application or a script? Makes all the difference.

Edited by deanishe

You are correct.  Actually there is both an application and a script, and I have separately modified Alfred to include each in the search path.

There is an application /opt/anaconda3/Anaconda-Navigator.app and there is a Python script /opt/anaconda3/bin/anaconda-navigator

If I invoke /opt/anaconda3/bin/anaconda-navigator from the command line (not using Alfred) it launches the application.

If I double click /opt/anaconda3/Anaconda-Navigator.app from the Finder (not using Alfred) it launches the application.

So there is an application.

Does Spotlight find it?

What does Alfred’s Troubleshooting say? (Open Alfred Preferences > Help > Troubleshooting > File Search troubleshooting > Run Troubleshooting… and drag /opt/anaconda3/Anaconda-Navigator.app into the Drop file … dropzone.)

Just now, Richard Fuhr said:

Spotlight does not find Anaconda Navigator either.

In that case, it's an indexing issue: Spotlight and Alfred both use the same system metadata index.

You can force macOS to reindex that folder by dragging /opt/anaconda3 (or even opt) into the Privacy list in System Preferences > Spotlight, and then removing it again.

Here are the results of Troubleshooting, when I dropped the file Anaconda-Navigator.app into the dropgone.

Starting Diagnostics...

File: 'Anaconda-Navigator.app'
Path: '/opt/anaconda3'

-----------------------------------------------------------

Check file cache database...

File cache integrity is ok

Check if file is readable...

Alfred has permissions to read this file.

Check if volume '/' is indexed by macOS...

Indexing is enabled on this drive

Check direct file metadata...

Direct metadata available

Display Name: Anaconda-Navigator.app
 Other Names: 
Content Type: com.apple.application-bundle
   Last Used: 2021-03-10 08:06:50 +0000

Check mdls file metadata...

macOS metadata missing essential items

kMDItemFSContentChangeDate = 2021-03-10 08:06:50 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate      = 2021-03-10 08:06:50 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode       = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags       = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon     = 0
kMDItemFSInvisible         = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery      = 0
kMDItemFSLabel             = 0
kMDItemFSName              = "Anaconda-Navigator.app"
kMDItemFSNodeCount         = 1
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID      = 0
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID       = 501
kMDItemFSSize              = 1
kMDItemFSTypeCode          = ""

Troubleshooting failed

Even after doing the following:  "You can force macOS to reindex that folder by dragging /opt/anaconda3 (or even opt) into the Privacy list in System Preferences > Spotlight, and then removing it again." - neither Spotlight nor Alfred can find Anaconda Navigator.  

There is something peculiar about Anaconda-Navigator in another sense on the Mac.  When I run it and then exit the app, it does not remain on my Dock as one of the three most recently invoked apps, the way all other apps do.  This may be a separate issue (that has nothing to do with Spotlight or with Alfred) or it may provide a clue.

Edited by Richard Fuhr

@Richard Fuhr There's a good chance that /opt/ isn't indexed at all by macOS, hence not seeing the result in Spotlight either.

Your best bet is to create a simple workflow with a Keyword > Open File, which launches Anaconda. This will allow you to launch your app without worrying about indexing.

Cheers,
Vero

@Richard Fuhr Indeed, workflows are a Powerpack feature (apologies, I should've checked whether you had a Powerpack before suggesting it) but I think you'll find a wealth of useful features in the Powerpack as workflows are just one of the many excellent features in it :)

You can find a summary of the main Powerpack features:

https://www.alfredapp.com/powerpack/

And of course, your support also helps our small team continue developing Alfred through the years so that he's always there to serve you when you need him :)

Cheers,
Vero