`.awz` (amazon kindle), `.aax` (amazon audible), and symbolic links won't show up in Alfred's file search

`.awz` (amazon kindle) and `.aax` (amazon audible) won't show up in file search. I went to advanced and added both types of files but still none show up. I made symbolic links of them, and added symbolic links as file type to search, still none show up. only files created with `link <source> <target>` show up in search, but files like that can't be opened by the desired application, it just gives you applications that open text files.

how to get `.awz` and `.aax` and symbolic links to appear in alfred file search please ?

(Attached is a screenshot with three files i have made in finder, the first thing in the name of the file before `_` is the terminal command i used to create the link file. there's also a screenshot of the alfred file types that i've added to be searched under "Features > Default Results > Extras > Advanced". finally there's a screenshot that shows the alfred search i did, and you can see the results of what shows up and what doesn't 

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 1.19.39 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 1.21.48 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 1.19.31 PM.jpg

40 minutes ago, akharrou said:

but files like that can't be opened by the desired application, it just gives you applications that open text files.

Did you give the links the correct file extensions?

41 minutes ago, akharrou said:

the alfred file types that i've added to be searched

The AZW one looks incorrect. I would expect the Kindle app to properly define a filetype, not have macOS use a dynamic one. Try mdls -raw -name kMDItemContentType /path/to/ebook.azw on a file that isn’t being found in your shell to see what filetype the system has assigned to it.

Hi @deanishethanks for the suggestions.

For the first issue you bring up, I hadn't put the file extensions, and putting them fixed it, it now opens in the correct application.

For the second issue, I used the command, and I got his: `dyn.ah62d4rv4ge80c8x1`, which is the same thing I got from drag and dropping the .azw file into Alfred thingy.

Either way, hard links don't work, it seems to create a whole new book, that kindle doesn't recognize, so I'm going to stick to soft links. Now the only problem soft links I make with `ln -s <amazon-book> <symlink-name>.azw`, don't appear in the Alfred search results.

Any ideas ?

1 hour ago, akharrou said:

don't appear in the Alfred search results

Alfred uses the same system metadata index as Spotlight, and it does not support symlinks. If you try to import a symlink, the file it points to is indexed instead.

Aliases are indexed, but as aliases, not the type of file they point to. So you might be able to get the desired results by using aliases instead of links, and adding the alias filetype to your File Filter.

Edited by deanishe

Hey @deanishe,

Creating Apple aliases works, and appears in results of Alfred Search. One last thing though, would you know how to create Apple Aliases via command line ? Because I've looked into the matter in the past, and I can't get anything to work.

Thank you so much, you're very helpful !