I ran CleanMyMac and lost a load of functionality

Hello.

I ran CleanMyMac after a recommendation from a friend, but I have now lost a lot of functionality.

I had to set up the clipboard history again, I am unable to search/open applications any more, all of my workflows are gone.

I am still able to find and locate files.

I don't expect these things can be restored, I think they have been wiped from the machine. 

But I don't know how to fix it. 

For example, I don't know how to get Alfred opening apps again, it also seems that I am unable to open apps with spotlight either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, goblbotch said:

it also seems that I am unable to open apps with spotlight either

It sounds like it has really screwed up your system. It might be that CleanMyMac deleted your Spotlight indexes, and Spotlight (and Alfred) will start finding things again when macOS has finished re-indexing everything. If you actually disabled indexing, then it won't.

I'd expect a program like CleanMyMac to delete all your workflows' cached data, but it shouldn't have touched the workflows themselves.

You really need to be talking to whoever wrote the software that has messed up your system.

Do you have a recent backup of your system? It sounds as though it's not merely Alfred that's affected so it might be better to restore the system from a recent backup.

In passing, I dislike apps like the one you mention and think they do more harm than good. I'm sorry that you've found that out the hard way and hope you can find some way of recovering what you need.

Stephen

CleanMyMac is particularly aggressive. It considers universal binaries “system junk” and offers to strip the part not appropriate for your current architecture, breaking apps in the process. For future reference, consider /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Storage Management.app as a more manual way of finding what’s eating up your disk space.

Didn’t you by any change setup Alfred’s Syncing? If so, even if your Workflows were deleted you might be able to recover them as some services (like Dropbox) allow you to restore deleted files.