Unable to import workflows

Alfred version/build number: 4.3.4 [1229]

macOS version: 11.4

I tried importing two workflows from different sources.
Lastpass Search: https://github.com/lhaeger/lastpass-alfred-workflow

Calculate Anything: https://github.com/biati-digital/alfred-calculate-anything

At first I tried loading Lastpass Search. It failed. I got "The workflow you are trying to import is invalid." message.

Then suddenly for no apparent reason it worked after trying several times.

On the other hand, Calculate Anything just won't import. 

I could be doing something wrong, since I am new to this but have no idea what.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.08.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.09.00 PM.png

Hi @ppolang, welcome to the forum.

4 hours ago, ppolang said:

I could be doing something wrong, since I am new to this but have no idea what.

It's hard to get double-clicking wrong, tbh. Try downloading the workflows again.

Alfred workflows are ZIP files, so you could right-click on one and open with Archive Utility to verify that it's a valid ZIP file.

1 hour ago, deanishe said:

Hi @ppolang, welcome to the forum.

It's hard to get double-clicking wrong, tbh. Try downloading the workflows again.

Alfred workflows are ZIP files, so you could right-click on one and open with Archive Utility to verify that it's a valid ZIP file.

Downloaded again, still does not work.

I tried opening with archive utility and it looks like a legit zip file.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 8.38.42 PM.png

@ppolang If you open Alfred's Workflows preferences and drag the workflow to the sidebar, does it show you the import details instead of the error message?

Are you using a third-party unzipper of some sort that may be manipulating the downloaded file?  This is the most likely root of your issue.

Cheers,
Vero

2 minutes ago, Vero said:

@ppolang If you open Alfred's Workflows preferences and drag the workflow to the sidebar, does it show you the import details instead of the error message?

Are you using a third-party unzipper of some sort that may be manipulating the downloaded file?  This is the most likely root of your issue.

Cheers,
Vero

Dragged to sidebar -> import details shown -> pressed "import" button-> Alfred preferences showed infinite rainbow loop mouse pointer -> force quit 

Ran Alfred preferences again and Calculate Anything has already been successfully imported.

I have no idea what's going on, but dragging to sidebar worked.

I did not download a new copy of workflow, I do not use a third-party unzipper.

Thank you all for the help.

10 minutes ago, ppolang said:

infinite rainbow loop mouse pointer

When you see this, could you open Activity Monitor and do a sample process? If you share the output, we might be able to see what’s happening on your Mac. 

26 minutes ago, Vero said:

When you see this, could you open Activity Monitor and do a sample process? If you share the output, we might be able to see what’s happening on your Mac. 

I deleted the workflow, tried to add again in order to reproduce the bug but couldn't.

It just imported normally.

Hmm. After all that rainbow wheel, now Alfred hot key does not work.

It has always been set to cmd+space, never had an issue so far.

I tried reinstalling Alfred,

rebooting Mac,

deleting workflows,

disabling workflows,

overwriting preferences file with a backup,

changing hot key to something else,

trying on a different keyboard,

and nothing.

2 minutes ago, ppolang said:

Hmm. After all that rainbow wheel, now Alfred hot key does not work.

It has always been set to cmd+space, never had an issue so far.

I tried reinstalling Alfred,

rebooting Mac,

deleting workflows,

disabling workflows,

overwriting preferences file with a backup,

changing hot key to something else,

trying on a different keyboard,

and nothing.

Oh, I kinda figured out how to reproduce this.

I have two preferences backup locations.

One is on my NAS which I have set up yesterday,

another is on my local Documents folder which I have set up today.

Going back to NAS fixed the issue. 

I tried going back again to Documents folder and the issue comes back.

I guess there is something wrong with my preferences file on Documents folder.

• 7 months later...
14 minutes ago, tillus said:

I am experiencing the same issues! I have tried everything since.. 

Deleting everything and reinstalling.. Nothing helps!

Kind of sad, that the problem was not adressed for over half a year. I mean we all payed money for this service. So can we expect that it is working with workflows now?

Check your preference location. That worked for me. 

32 minutes ago, tillus said:

ok. But what do you mean by that? What should I check it for?

My issue was having Alfred Preference saved to a remote location, which was my NAS but I think even iCloud Drive seems to cause problems.

When that remote location goes missing for whatever reason, Alfred seems to load up some kind of default preference.

When that happens, in my case, hot keys did not work and I could not load workflows.

So I copied the preference file to a local location where Alfred could access anytime.

I think I had to make sure Alfred loads the previously saved preference file(at the remote location).

If you have not changed your preferece location, I guess this won't not apply to you.

2 hours ago, tillus said:

Kind of sad, that the problem was not adressed for over half a year. I mean we all payed money for this service. So can we expect that it is working with workflows now?

It's not "kind of sad"; the user reported that they had resolved their issue - they weren't left in the lurch. :) 

If you are having issues importing workflows, check both the point made by @ppolang as Alfred needs the preferences to be stored locally and always available, and the suggestions below:

It's more likely that you're unable to import a workflow for one of the reasons below:

• Corrupted download: Try redownloading in case the file didn't finish and you only have a partial file
  • Using a third-party unzipper that tries to unzip the workflow: Disable the unzipper or use a different browser
  • Incompatible workflow: The version of the workflow may not be compatible.

If you can provide a link to the workflow in question, the exact error message you're seeing, and let us know which version of Alfred and macOS you're on, we'll be happy to help. 

@ppolang Ah sorry. Now I gotcha. I am actually using it locally.

Sorry I wanted to post into another thread, because my issue is not related to a NAS. Somehow got confused there. Thanks@Vero

I am using Alfred 4.6.2 and macOS 12.1. (both should be up to date)

So I tried redownloading, another browser and even more.. And actually I am able to install workflows with https://github.com/jonathanwiesel/awm, so the workflows are compatible as well.

Last one I tried is: DeepL translation | Packal

Edited by tillus

@tillus So can you confirm whether you still have issues with any workflow at all?

Yes, in the future, if you could please either reply to one relevant thread (ideally the specific workflow's thread), rather than post in four different threads. I've now removed the other posts in other threads to keep the conversation focused to on.

Okay I think in the other threads it would have probably fitted a little bit better, actually haha. But sure, as you wish

So the problem is this happens when I double click/open a workflow file, I have downloaded (e.g. from packal):

1736764939_ScreenShot2022-01-26at11_16_11.png.c8ee0f71f8db93a368f84f3b58fd8d73.png

And just to be clear, it is NOT related to a specific file, but a general issue with all workflow files.

Edited by tillus

@tillus Can you please try downloading the workflow linked here using Safari, and checking that you don't have any unexpected extensions running in Preferences > Extensions:

https://github.com/alfredapp/snippet-trigger-email-signatures-workflow/releases/latest/download/Trigger.Email.Signatures.with.Snippets.alfredworkflow

As per my earlier reply, I suspect you have either a browser plugin or third-party unzipper that is trying to manipulate the workflow upon download. Please take a careful look at your Mac's background apps, as you may have forgotten about its existence. Do you still see the "Unable to import" error?

8 minutes ago, tillus said:

Maybe your workflow file did the trick now. 

All I offered was a different workflow, which I knew worked as I created it. :)

It's likely the original file from Packal was corrupted, and re-downloading it fixed the issue. Glad you're all sorted.