Can't make changes to certain Preferences - Alfred 4.3.4 on Big Sur

James Senecal

@James Senecal Could you give more details? What do you mean when you say your snippets are locked?

Do you sync your preferences? If so, what sync service are you using?

If you can please provide more information, we'll be able to help you further :)

Cheers,
Vero

@Vero In Snippets, I cannot enable any existing Snippets that exist and I cannot add any new Snippets for auto expansion. For example, I have the Currency Symbols pack loaded with only GBP, EUR, and USD enabled. I tried to enable Indian Rupee but it will not save. Here is a quick video https://imgur.com/LS44LW9

@James Senecal This looks like a permissions issue on your Mac, causing Alfred to be unable to write to disk to save the option you're checking.

If you're not syncing, you can repair permissions by following the instructions here:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/preferences/

If you're syncing, please let me know what service you're using as this may play a part in the issue you're experiencing.

Cheers,
Vero

• 2 months later...

I just got my mac back from being fixed and was setting up Alfred on it. This machine is on Big Sur and I use qsync (private share on QNAP NAD) to share primarily the snippets between my machines. 

Anyway the alfred preferences file seems to be here no problem but the snippets don't appear even though if I look at the bundle they are there. Also none of the changes I make to Alfred seem to be saved. 

Any idea where to start with this. 

37 minutes ago, craw said:

Any idea where to start with this.

Check the file permissions of the bundle contents. If they aren't writeable, Alfred won't be able to save preferences. If permission are okay, try disabling your sync software and see if it works then. It's possible that your sync software keeps overwriting Alfred's changes.

@craw The screenshot you posted only refers to the top level Alfred Preferences folder, not the contents. There may be some readonly contents within this folder causing the issue, and as @deanishe mentioned, it could be your sync software causing the issue (I see the folder is Qsync).

Take a look at this guide for repairing permissions:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/preferences/

Note that you'll need to update the paths to be relevant for your preferences.

All of the sub files in that bundle all show my username as having Read and Write. I did yesterday do all the stuff in that link with no effect. Not sure if it somehow the qsync solution that I use is somehow locking the files. 

Werid as it works on a couple of my other machines fine 1 of which is also on Big Sur. 

I did turn off the qsync program from qnap but it made no difference. Definitely can't write to the files for some reason. Even the change from internation to Canada and the change of what keys trigger alfred is not saved. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think this problem is some type of locking that Sync on the QNAP NAS is doing. Basically got no where with it. Finally went and set up syncthing from Github on my machines and it seems to work fine. Had used Syncthing years ago for backing up some critical stuff and it worked very well. Thanks for all the comments but I think this is some type of lock that Sync is doing, particularly since I can't use the latest software on the QNAP so lan syncing is not available and it is going up and back from the internet. 

Syncthing on 3 machines is working fine now two more older machines to put it on and hopelully they will all work the same.