"Global" Environment Variables for workflows?

This is great. Glad to see so much discussion and careful thought around this issue. Thanks @deanishe for your explanation of the subprocess / PATH issue. And thanks to @vitor and of course @Andrew as well.

I agree with the concept of a per-workflow: [x] Enable Homebrew support checkbox that sets  PATH  and  HOMEBREW_PREFIX . That seems like a really low-impact way to provide this functionality without affecting anything for existing users or people who chose not to use it.

2 hours ago, deanishe said:

Alfred doesn’t stop you from adding a PATH variable, but I think it ignores anything you set.

Actually it doesn't ignore it—I've run into trouble once or twice by overriding  PATH  and forgetting to include a necessary dir.

Example:

image.png.43b17e3f32b2668b300a8b479d523ff3.png

image.png.d2e05662860cf559b1a5cfcc858ca5ff.png

(Script:   echo $PATH )

image.thumb.png.351b8ce536232122c80bad67757e8b46.png

Edited by luckman212
9 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Actually it doesn't ignore it—I've run into trouble once or twice by overriding  PATH  and forgetting to include a necessary dir.

Really? I remember having trouble with a variable called "path". I'd forgotten that "path" is the same as "PATH" in zsh, and it was getting overwritten, so I assumed that Alfred was setting PATH after the other variables.

Good to know. Thanks for setting me straight. 

Edited by deanishe