Is Alfred ready for 1Password 8?

Now that 1Password 8 is in Early Access (not without controversy), I'm curious if there might be additional integrations possible with Alfred (or if integration will be possibly compromised as a result of the move to Electron)?

Regardless, thought it might be worth it to get ahead of the 1Password 8 release here, especially since there's been discussion about remapping Keyboard Shortcuts, which might bear relevance to Universal Actions (i.e. to create a UA that autofills a selected URL with the password from 1Password).

Ugh. Looks like the inability to change keyboard shortcuts will cause problems all over the place.

In general, I don't think the switch to Electron will impact the ability to integrate with 1Password because integration is based on exported JSON files and a URL scheme, which should still be possible in spite of Electron's lack of support for scripting.

More generally, I can't believe how massively AgileBits have shit the bed on this one. They must have known how users would react to a PoS Electron-based bloatware.

I dunno. I ditched 1Password and switched to bitwarden_rs (now Vaultwarden) when they tripled the price. Bitwarden's also an Electron app, but I don't pay through the nose for it.

Edited by deanishe

3 hours ago, deanishe said:

More generally, I can't believe how massively AgileBits have shit the bed on this one. They must have known how users would react to a PoS Electron-based bloatware.

Well, they have good reason actually, which we went into detail on this podcast I recorded with the core team:

https://pod.link/1355212895/episode/8743a9358e4c764e99aa8d359e6de081

3 hours ago, Chris Messina said:

they have good reason actually

For making their own lives easier, not for making a better application.

They could have used Qt. They could have used each platform's native webstack. Instead they went with everyone's least favourite bloatware, Electron.

Any developer who picks Electron is doing it for their own benefit, not their users’.

I can relate to the worries: Electron is known for being a resource hog and node projects are known for their security problems. On a security-minded app, that is an especially important point to address.

They’re also getting a lot of flack for having taken VC money. People have been burned too often by companies who take investments in the name of growth and as a result undergo a huge shift in priorities, caring for businesses over individual users. That is their choice to make, and they should own it. But 1Password has historically been a great example of a well-designed Mac-native app, so I understand the disappointment.

Edited by vitor

15 minutes ago, vitor said:

That is their choice to make, and they should own it.

They did something similar when they introduced the cloud version. Kept telling everyone they could still keep using 1Password with local vaults while deflecting all the questions about why they needed to pay three times as much to do so.

Hi folks,

Ben from 1Password here. 

I don't think the switch to Electron will impact the ability to integrate with 1Password because integration is based on exported JSON files and a URL scheme

Indeed; I can't imagine there is any significant technical hurdle here. One of our Apple developers commented on the subject:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/607254/#Comment_607254

I'm afraid I don't know exactly when we'll be able to work on this, but we love Alfred (I've got a Legendary Supporter Powerpack license) and it is definitely on the radar.

• 6 months later...

Hello! 👋🏻

One of our founders, Dave, has posted an update on our progress and current thought process on this type of integration with Alfred and other tools looking to integrate in similar ways with 1Password. You can read that update here:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/632452/#Comment_632452

Thank you all for your continued patience as we continue to work with Alfred and other developers to make this the best experience possible.

Ben