CloudApp Workflow

Hello,

I have made a workflow which makes it easy to upload files to CloudApp as well as view and delete recent uploads. The workflow can also be used to create bookmarks on CloudApp. This is practically the same as a cool URL shortener  :)

The below description of the workflow is the same that you can find in this blog post or on GitHub. Yup, I'm just being lazy  :)

alfred-cloudapp-workflow.png

Features

• Two file actions to upload a file to CloudApp. One action uploads as a public file while to other uploads the file as privately.
  • View items recently uploaded to CloudApp and select one to copy the URL to the item.
  • Send a bookmark to CloudApp. This is practically a very cool URL shortener. Especially if you have your own domain attached to your CloudApp account.
  • You do make mistakes, right? And you don’t want those mistakes on the interwebs, right? Delete items which were recently uploaded. 

Commands

• cloud Lists the recently uploaded files. Selecting one will copy the URL to the clipboard.
  • bookmark (url) Bookmarks the URL and copies the URL to the clipboard. This can be disabled in config.json.
  • delcloud Lists the recently uploaded files. Selecting one will delete the file from CloudApp.
  • And of course, files can be uploaded to CloudApp from the file actions.

Installation

The workflow is written in Python and uses pycloudapp by Luis Nell. Because I have modified this wrapper a bit to get private file uploads working, this is bundled in the workflow. You do however need to install poster which the wrapper uses. This is easily done using the easy_install command. If you don’t have easy_install installed (you probably do if you ever write Python scripts :-)), you can grab it here and follow the installation instructions.

Fire up a terminal and write:

easy_install poster

You’ll probably need to use sudo.

Now you’re ready to configure the workflow.

Either download the the newest version of the workflow or grab it from GitHub.

If you downloaded the workflow with a .alfredworkflow extension, you must change the extension to .zip and decompress the archive. This probably created a directory. If so, open it.

Now, copy the file config.temp.json and rename it to config.json. Fill in your username and password for CloudApp. Your username is probably your e-mail address.

The attribute ‘copy_to_clipboard’ defines whether or not the URL should be copied to your clipboard when a file has been uploaded or a bookmark has been created. You can disable this, if you don’t want that behaviour.

Now you’re almost done. Select all the files in the directory, right click them and choose “Create archive”. Change the extension of the newly created archive from .zip to .alfredworkflow. It is important that you do not archive the folder but only its contents.

Double click the file you just created and you’re done :-)

Yet another nice one mate. I've got no time to look into this right now, but a great addition that I'm sure you could pull off rather quick is an alternate action to copy to clipboard the Direct Link to an uploaded file. This is great for images, rather than navigating to the page, the right click and copy Direct link, just alt+enter and you're done ;)

Cheers,

PL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Simon, I had problems with the setup:

I got stuck here:

At the step below, I did not have the choice "create archive," please advise?

"Now you’re almost done. Select all the files in the directory, right click them and choose “Create archive”. Change the extension of the newly created archive from .zip to .alfredworkflow. It is important that you do not archive the folder but only its contents."

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Simon, I had problems with the setup:

I got stuck here:

At the step below, I did not have the choice "create archive," please advise?

"Now you’re almost done. Select all the files in the directory, right click them and choose “Create archive”. Change the extension of the newly created archive from .zip to .alfredworkflow. It is important that you do not archive the folder but only its contents."

Thanks

The alternative will say 'Compress * Items'

* being number of files selected