Recovering preferences after crash with Dropbox and Time Machine options

Shawk

Hi,

After a big crash, I’m rebuilding my computer setup and can’t figure out the right Alfred preference files to use from among various backup options. I have Time Machine and also Dropbox, and have been using Alfred for years so in both my Users/Library folder on the computer and in Dropbox the Alfred folder has old preferences files for Alfred 2 and 3. Now I’m running Alfred 4.5 with Powerpack.

Specifically, on Dropbox > Apps > Alfred there are three files: Alfred 2.alfredpreferences, Alfred 3.alfredpreferences and Alfred.alfredpreferences 

On the computer in my Library > Application Support > Alfred there are about 12 folders and files inside (such as Assistant folder, clipboard folder, Alfred.alfredpreferences file and a pref.json file) 

And in Library > Application Support > Alfred 3 is a smaller bunch of folders and files (Databases, Plugins, Workflow Data folders, and usage.data and Alfred.alfredpreferences files).

From the forums it sounds like maybe Alfred 4.5 runs off just a single Alfred.alfredpreferences bundle. But it also sound like there are per-machine files too. In the ideal setup is there an Alfred.alfredpreferences file on Dropbox, then a folder of folders in the computer Library? Or can everything live on Dropbox? I’m having trouble sorting out what should go where, and in trying to have Alfred use various .alfredpreferences files I can’t find my workflows, so I definitely haven’t stumbled on the right setup. Any help appreciated.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:53 PM, Shawk said:

But it also sound like there are per-machine files too.

Inside the Alfred.alfredpreferences bundle. Your machines still all share the same prefs bundle, even if they store some of their own preferences in different places within it.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:53 PM, Shawk said:

a folder of folders in the computer Library? Or can everything live on Dropbox?

If Alfred can't find your synced prefs, it creates a new, empty prefs bundle in its Application Support directory.

Compare the sizes of the bundles and the modification dates of the files inside the bundles (not the bundles themselves) to see which is the proper one.