Is there a way to sort universal actions list?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 6:36 PM, AndreProducer said:

If I could sort UA list then I would be able to execute desired functions based on muscle memory.

Got it. I can't speak on behalf of @Andrew, but given the dynamic "learning" aspect of Alfred, it seems like manual sorting (unless you're using some kind of List Filter), isn't the preferred default behavior.

Because Workflows can register new UAs, it's unclear what might happen to your sort order when they are added.

On 10/21/2021 at 5:12 PM, Chris Messina said:

Got it. I can't speak on behalf of @Andrew, but given the dynamic "learning" aspect of Alfred, it seems like manual sorting (unless you're using some kind of List Filter), isn't the preferred default behavior.

Because Workflows can register new UAs, it's unclear what might happen to your sort order when they are added.

Let me just say this - I absolutely love Alfred app, but the fact that I cannot sort the universal actions is really surprising to me, considering how otherwise smart and well thought out the app is. I'm not saying that implementing this functionality would be the easiest but it's definitely doable. To be honest, I wouldn't even cry if this manual sorting wasn't here but the problem is that the current implementation of sorting based on usage is not smart at all. Let me give you a simple example:

The 2 most often Universal Actions that I use on words are 1."Google that" 2."Translate that". 9 times out of 10 I use "Google that" so it sits on the top of the list, but if after those 9 times I use "Translate that" just one time it takes the first place instantly. It nullifies the muscle memory and it's a perfectionist hell. 

1 hour ago, AndreProducer said:

but if after those 9 times I use "Translate that" just one time it takes the first place instantly.

Yeah, this keeps biting me, too, and it's rather irritating. The Universal Action list just doesn't behave like Alfred is supposed to (in my mind).

I'm not sure there's a lot of value in manual ordering. Re-ordering results based on your usage is kinda Alfred's thing, and it makes a manually-ordered list somewhat pointless. To my mind, the issue is rather that the algorithm Alfred currently uses to sort Actions is different to the way normal search works.

We all train ourselves to consistently use the same search terms for the same items, and in return Alfred consistently ensures that the same item is always the top result for a given query. But the Actions list deviates from that behaviour, making it inherently somewhat tricky to use.

Edited by deanishe
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 2:25 AM, deanishe said:

The Universal Action list just doesn't behave like Alfred is supposed to (in my mind).

To add to this, the matching algo is different to Alfred’s main search, too, so I can’t use the same keywords. I’ve trained Alfred to associate Affinity Designer and Photo with affd and affp respectively in its main search. But neither of these queries match the applications inside the Open With action.

I think it's very important to have consistent matching behaviour across Alfred's core because keyword–application associations should and do become deeply ingrained.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/14/2022 at 3:12 AM, Andrew said:

Universal Actions was a significant mid-cycle 4.5 update. Alfred 5 primary focus was on Workflows, and has taken over 6 months of hard work.

Don't worry, Universal Actions will get some attention again in the future.

Looking forward to that very much.

In addition to the great 5.0 workflow functionality I find the bits of added documentation and some additional workflows, both in the app and the couple of blog posts so far, immensely helpful. Thank you for that, too. But also, more please :D