Wrong icon shown in the "web search" object?

• macOS 12.0.1
  • Alfred 4.6.1 [1273]

I noticed this harmless little bug:

In the workflow editor, a random(?) icon is shown to represent the default system browser. Here it is picking up the icon from an app called "FS-UAE Launcher" on my system:

image.png.b5a858b9992e1380c4109579ab9290a3.png

image.thumb.png.10cd18123be8a00c69e0943a03761b7e.png

If you double click the object, the correct browser/icon is shown:

image.png.cec50cff91d741a9745368e662e9874f.png

I tried re-setting my Default Browser prefs in System Preferences > General, quitting & relaunching Alfred but it didn't change. Regardless, the correct browser does actually open, so this is purely cosmetic.

@luckman212 What do you have listed in your browser list? Is that Launcher included as a possible browser by macOS?

If you add a new Default Web Search object, does it show a specific browser icon or not?

Could you pop an email to info@ with your workflow, and include your Diagnostics file?

Cheers,
Vero

24 minutes ago, Vero said:

@luckman212 What do you have listed in your browser list? Is that Launcher included as a possible browser by macOS?

Here's a screenshot (no, FS-UAE is not in the list)

image.png.e086922a470d092874d674a225d7e7e4.png

If you add a new Default Web Search object, does it show a specific browser icon or not?

Yes, I tried in a fresh new workflow, it shows that same erroneous icon...

Could you pop an email to info@ with your workflow, and include your Diagnostics file?

Surely, I just did that. (btw: the workflow is just the default "Google Suggest" workflow from Examples, v1.4)

• 1 month later...

@Vero I had a bit of a dig into this. I think I figured out why it's happening.

I looked into the Info.plist of the offending app (FS-UAE) and found what appears to be an invalid bit (the CFBundleIdentifier is null):

538248081_CleanShot2022-01-19at09_21_17.thumb.png.d97ea8abe60fcb82d0a27c6f7f82dae3.png

This hasn't caused other problems (that I'm aware of) but I assume that somehow it's tripping Alfred up.

2 hours ago, luckman212 said:

This hasn't caused other problems (that I'm aware of) but I assume that somehow it's tripping Alfred up.

Reasonable assumption. Apps without a bundle ID are rare and they tend to cause problems to other apps who interact with apps (like Alfred) but issues may crop up in regular usage of macOS as well.

There’s likely a workaround which can be applied in Alfred, but I’d recommend you contact the developer of the app and let them know of the missing bundle ID. When I do that, I suggest one or two which would make sense for them, to not make the developer have to learn what a proper one looks like (which would increase the burden of doing it, lowering chances that it would be fixed).