Making Python 2 Workflows work on macOS Monterey 12.3 and above

15 hours ago, vitor said:

Did you download the updated version?

If so, read the conversation between myself and @Travis Schmeisser, starting with the Tuesday post because you have exactly the same cause.

Wondering if you got this to work.  I get the exact same issue with ESV Online Bible.  Installed from Home-brew as per instructions to reinstall Python 2.  Downloaded and installed the Updated Version, but get the same error.  Tried the things with @Travis Schmeisser thread.  Still no joy.

I tried reinstalling 2.7.18 and got this message:

BUILD FAILED (OS X 12.3 using python-build 20180424)

Inspect or clean up the working tree at /var/folders/3c/g7l3x4cn3tq_m3r6m_ryqcxm0000gn/T/python-build.20220325225259.79067

Results logged to /var/folders/3c/g7l3x4cn3tq_m3r6m_ryqcxm0000gn/T/python-build.20220325225259.79067.log

Last 10 log lines:

checking MACHDEP... darwin

checking EXTRAPLATDIR... $(PLATMACDIRS)

checking for --without-gcc... no

checking for --with-icc... no

checking for gcc... clang

checking whether the C compiler works... no

configure: error: in `/var/folders/3c/g7l3x4cn3tq_m3r6m_ryqcxm0000gn/T/python-build.20220325225259.79067/Python-2.7.18':

configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

See `config.log' for more details

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

Edited by milopus
1 hour ago, milopus said:

I tried reinstalling 2.7.18 and got this message

How did you try to reinstall?

Restart your computer, then remove everything and follow the instructions to reinstall Python 2 again. Paste the Terminal output here, with the commands.

23 minutes ago, gillibrand said:

hadn't touched this in years, but I finally updated it for python3.

It’s already on the list as an alternative to another Workflow.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:55 PM, vitor said:

How did you try to reinstall?

Restart your computer, then remove everything and follow the instructions to reinstall Python 2 again. Paste the Terminal output here, with the commands.

I went to the link to remove everything and with the first command, this is what I got:

On 3/25/2022 at 11:55 PM, vitor said:

osascript -e "tell application \"Finder\" to delete (POSIX file \"${HOME}/.pyenv\")"

29:72: execution error: Finder got an error: Handler can’t handle objects of this class. (-10010)

On 3/26/2022 at 3:09 PM, gloogloo said:

If someone could help with the Pocket for Alfred workflow that would be awesome.

Added.

2 hours ago, milopus said:

I went to the link to remove everything and with the first command, this is what I got:

Not a problem, continue with the reinstallation.

1 hour ago, pankajsz said:

https://github.com/deanishe/alfred-fixum -- pls help with updated version of this

What’s the use case? A Workflow which would need that fix is unlikely to work without modification anyway, and I’m already applying the fix to the updates I’m making. In other words, for that Workflow to be useful to you, you need to know how to fix it.

Hi Vitor,

I tried to use the updated Default Folder X workflow but it keeps stuck at "waiting for data" while other updated ones are working well. Below is what the debug window shows. How can I fix it? Please advise. Thank you.

--------------------

14:18:53 workflow.py:2061 DEBUG    ---------- Default Folder X (0.3.0) ----------
14:18:53 background.py:240 DEBUG    [update] background job started
14:18:53 workflow.py:2254 DEBUG    set last run version: 0.3.0
14:18:53 workflow.py:2103 DEBUG    ---------- finished in 0.070s ----------
[14:18:53.541] Default Folder X[Script Filter] {
  "items": [
    {
      "valid": false,
      "subtitle": "Please try again in a second or two",
      "icon": {
        "path": "/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/AlertCautionIcon.icns"
      },
      "title": "Waiting for Default Folder X data\u2026"
    }
  ],
  "rerun": 1
}
[14:18:54.245] Default Folder X[Script Filter] Queuing argument ''

--------------------

image.thumb.png.d4f0c576f792932b3c30ee2532253276.png

9 hours ago, vitor said:
11 hours ago, pankajsz said:

https://github.com/deanishe/alfred-fixum -- pls help with updated version of this

What’s the use case? A Workflow which would need that fix is unlikely to work without modification anyway, and I’m already applying the fix to the updates I’m making. In other words, for that Workflow to be useful to you, you need to know how to fix it.

Yes, you may be right. I was looking to fix following

http://www.packal.org/workflow/skimmer 

20 hours ago, vitor said:

Added. But that Workflow is old. If you were not using it before, it may be broken anyway for unrelated reasons (e.g. changes in the Skim app).

If I understood it correctly, Alfred PDF Tools covers this workflow features in a more efficient way.

I'm just waiting for your decision about Notificator to release a new Python 3 version of the workflow.

Edited by xilopaint
typo
Just now, xilopaint said:

I'm just waiting for your decision about Notificator

I will work on it behaving as we discussed. I should have something this week, barring some unpredictable factor. The interface isn’t yet complete in my head, so I may be forgetting to consider something.

5 minutes ago, xilopaint said:

to realease a new Python 3 version of the workflow.

Please ping me when you do, so I can link to it on the table as an alternative.

@xilopaint I have revamped Notificator. No intensive testing yet, but it seems to work as expected. I’ll soon substitute it in all my Workflows. It’s now way more Alfred-centric, and expects to be run from inside a Workflow environment.

Notificator is released to the public domain, so you do not have to credit me for the inclusion. That said, because you will be adding it to a library instead of a stand-alone Workflow, I’d appreciate a note about it linking back to the original. That is so if people have suggestions or comments or complaints, they do so at the source and I can improve it for everyone.

7 hours ago, vitor said:

@xilopaint I have revamped Notificator. No intensive testing yet, but it seems to work as expected. I’ll soon substitute it in all my Workflows. It’s now way more Alfred-centric, and expects to be run from inside a Workflow environment.

Notificator is released to the public domain, so you do not have to credit me for the inclusion. That said, because you will be adding it to a library instead of a stand-alone Workflow, I’d appreciate a note about it linking back to the original. That is so if people have suggestions or comments or complaints, they do so at the source and I can improve it for everyone.

Great! I hope to have some time to work on it during the weekend. I can add the note on the top description of the notify module . Regarding the creation of the library repository I’ll wait for @deanishe decision about the library’s future so he can tell us if there are plans to an official update or the community should carry on.

On 3/28/2022 at 10:56 PM, xilopaint said:

If I understood it correctly, Alfred PDF Tools covers this workflow features in a more efficient way.

I'm just waiting for your decision about Notificator to release a new Python 3 version of the workflow.

Edited 14 hours ago by xilopaint
typo

Yes, this one is better. I use AppleScript to extract highlights from skim pdf document. BTW, we need an update to this workflow for Monterey 12.3 Tried adding export PATH="/opt/homebrew/bin:/usr/local/bin:${PATH}" but need more updates.