introducing yaanki – yet another anki alfred (workflow) 📇

yaanki – yet another anki alfred (workflow) is a workflow to quickly review or add new cards to your anki decks. Anki is a complex software and I have not tested all possible use cases. Also, the scheduling algorithm is simplified (more details in the readme file). Please remember to backup your decks and let me know if you see bugs or have other suggestions. 

https://github.com/giovannicoppola/alfred-yaanki

usage 📖
creating new cards 📝
- you can create a new card by entering the corresponding keyword (default: !a) or hotkey, then entering (or pasting into Alfred) the text of front and back separated by //. --b will invert front and back. New cards will be added to the deck listed in the DEFAULT_DECK_NEW Alfred environment variable, or – if that is not set – the `Default` deck. 
- Universal Action: new cards can also be created by selecting text in any app, then launching Universal Actions and selecting 'Create New Anki Card with yaanki`. 

looking up a card 📇

- launch yaanki by entering the corresponding keyword (default: !s) or hotkey and search for a card by typing in Alfred. yaanki will show the front of the card, and the deck it is from. The Anki star color will indicate the due status. Hitting Enter will show the back of the card and the times (or days) it will be due based on the outcome you will indicate. 
- ctrl-Enter will show card details (date creation, number of reviews, due date etc)
- option-Enter  will show the card front in large type
- 🖼️ denotes an image present in the card front or back. Hit `Shift` to show it in preview 

studying with yaanki 🗂️ 
- you can set the decks from which cards are presented by entering yaanki:decks in Alfred, or setting a hotkey. shift-Enter will add or remove a deck from the list. The deck list can also be edited in Alfred's workflow variables. 
- launch yaanki with keyword or hotkey. if no search text is entered, cards are presented ordered by due date (new cards first), so review all the ones that are overdue

Edited by giovanni
  • giovanni changed the title to introducing yaanki – yet another anki alfred (workflow) 📇
  • 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, giovanni said:

is Anki open? Unfortunately the workflow only works with Anki closed. 

Thanks for the quick reply, i just closed Anki and trigger search again making sure what I am searching for exists, however I am getting this error now:

image.thumb.png.c19330d6b884321d453142e1d32c96b7.png

I double checked that "ocr" does exist in my Anki's library

Edited by selfmade69
33 minutes ago, giovanni said:

what is the value of the default deck (DEFAULT_DECKS) variable? If null or Default, you will need to add decks entering yaanki:decks 

Could you please tell me how find out the value (DEFAULT_DECKS) variable?

BTW what I tried to above is search for the cards/notes

Edited by selfmade69
On 6/1/2022 at 10:29 AM, giovanni said:

what is the value of the default deck (DEFAULT_DECKS) variable? If null or Default, you will need to add decks entering yaanki:decks 

hello @selfmade69 I was asking about the default decks, not the database. I see from your screenshot that you have Default as default deck. Do you have a deck named "Default"? If not, you can add decks entering yaanki:decks or just delete "Default" from the DEFAULT_DECKS variable to show all your cards from all your decks.