Alfred 5

52 minutes ago, Bemawr said:

DownVideo uses it

If you’re using DownVideo, you’re using an old Workflow. DownMedia is the replacement.

i don't have many other apps that have it built in

If the concern is reliability, it’s plenty robust. Over 50 of my released Workflows use it, as do several other I didn’t have a hand in. It’s been well-behaved without the need for corrections for over half a decade. And I’m available for questions.

if i remeember corrently if you edid a workflow and add OneUpdater it won't save any changes you made when it updates.

OneUpdater doesn’t trample your Workflow, it simply downloads the new version and opens it. If you’ve made structural changes to the Workflow those are going to get erased, but there’s no way around that. The point of an update is to bring the new features and fixes.

Edited by vitor

Yes I am using DownMedia. 

Will dig into OneUpdater tomorrow, there are a few workflows I have tweeked adding sounds and different paths which are erased on update which was my worry, At least if i manually update I can remember the changes I made to fix in the update. 

On 6/3/2022 at 12:30 PM, nikivi said:

some kind of easier way to find and perhaps even publish workflows.

We're planning an Alfred workflow gallery, to which creators will be able to contribute their own workflows. :) 

The project has been in the works for some time but, as a small team, we've prioritised getting a fantastic Alfred 5 release out first.  Once Alfred 5 has launched and users are happily up and running with the new features, we'll be working on an official site for Alfred workflows, as a separate project to v5.

Our aim is to create a safe and organised platform, which is easily searchable and browsable.

6 hours ago, Vero said:

We're planning an Alfred workflow gallery, to which creators will be able to contribute their own workflows. :) 

The project has been in the works for some time but, as a small team, we've prioritised getting a fantastic Alfred 5 release out first.  Once Alfred 5 has launched and users are happily up and running with the new features, we'll be working on an official site for Alfred workflows, as a separate project to v5.

Our aim is to create a safe and organised platform, which is easily searchable and browsable.

This is awesome! Alfred and the team behind it are amazing. Keep up the great work!

19 hours ago, Vero said:

Our aim is to create a safe and organised platform, which is easily searchable and browsable

That's super exciting. I hope it will have an API so you can automate updating/releasing workflows without having to go through some web/GUI interface.  

Edited by nikivi

Very nice. I'd be curious whether the gallery would require (for understandable reasons) workflows that work straight out of the box or those that say additionally require Homebrew, with the user needing to install php & node. If so, would there be an easy way to make those requirements clear from the outset? 🤔

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 3:33 PM, xilopaint said:

It would make the development experience much less annoying as we can focus in a single app (vscode)

In theory this can already be possible I think. Correct me if I am wrong @Andrew but I remember that you can view Alfred Debugger console output from Console.app

So if that's the cause, there should be a way to get the console log from the terminal too with some command. I am just not sure which. So then you can open external terminal with the live logs from Alfred as shown via some shell output from reading the log command.

VSCode extension for Alfred can do this out of the box. So in VSCode you start the prompt for which Alfred workflow you want to start debugging. Read output of (`cd Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/..`) and show a list like here but in Alfred:

image.thumb.png.2cf6c4c6d1a97737a09dd3b47407d0b9.png

Then it would copy the command to paste in external terminal or show it in a window of its own.

Would be super useful. I can try build this if I find out how to get a stream of logs for a specific Alfred workflow given its path or something.

Edited by nikivi
32 minutes ago, xilopaint said:

Please @vitor, come to the rescue! 😄

I have no opposition to the idea, but I also think it’s the domain of each editor’s plugin ecosystem. I wouldn’t think it an optimal use of time to learn to make (and maintain) plugins for several editors (including the one I use, which is not VSCode). There are many more improvements coming in Alfred which have a greater impact on Workflow development and thus take precedence.

It’s not like the plugins need Alfred changes (you should be able to use log, as @nikivi suggested), so any developer has the tools to make one for the editor they favour.

Edited by vitor
26 minutes ago, vitor said:

including the one I use, which is not VSCode

What sane mind would favor any editor other than VSCode? :D

I got curious to know the editor you use, btw.

26 minutes ago, vitor said:

It’s not like the plugins need Alfred changes (you should be able to use log, as @nikivi suggested), so any developer has the tools to make one for the editor they favour.

The console is just a first idea of a feature for an Alfred extension. A creative mind would certainly have others. I just talk about the console because it's a pain in Alfred. Btw, this extension can be a project I assign for myself after I finish my work with Alpynist.

Regarding the log, Alfred-Workflow has already good logging capabilities, so Python developers can symlink the cache folder to their project folder and just check the log file after each workflow run. In any case I think an extension would be awesome for everyone.

Edited by xilopaint
23 minutes ago, xilopaint said:

What sane mind would favor any editor other than VSCode?

I have written and used enough Electron apps to know I want to avoid apps made in it. And yes, I did try VSCode. It’s definitely one of the good ones, but not worth the tradeoffs.

25 minutes ago, xilopaint said:

I got curious to know the editor you use, btw.

Neovim in iTerm tabs. Even the Swift I’ve written was coded that way.

4 minutes ago, vitor said:

I have written and used enough Electron apps to know I want to avoid apps made in it. And yes, I did try VSCode. It’s definitely one of the good ones, but not worth the tradeoffs.

You can't be serious. I had a near-death experience some time ago and saw Jesus himself coding in a G3 1998 iMac running VSCode (yes, a MS application). The thing is blessed software. No drawbacks, flawless victory.

16 minutes ago, vitor said:

Neovim in iTerm tabs.

You're locked in a cage, that's your problem. 😄

image.jpeg.dbeac93503d6b0275a8beee9829a3d46.jpeg

2 hours ago, xilopaint said:

Alfred Gallery is exciting news for non-coders, but a vscode extension for Alfred would mean an incomparable boost for developers imho.

Vscode and Alfred are my top 2 favorite macOS softwares. Integrating both experiences would be amazing news.

Please @vitor, come to the rescue! 😄

Have you checked out the latest Sublime Text? Far superior ;) 

What kind of VSCode integration are you wanting?