Request: Workflow to change desktop background.

Hi there,

I have absolutely no clue in scripts! I would like to request the awesome people on these forums to help me create a workflow command to change (randomly) my desktop background with a hotkey/keyword. Not sure if this is possible.. please help!

Thanks.

Hi there,

I have absolutely no clue in scripts! I would like to request the awesome people on these forums to help me create a workflow command to change (randomly) my desktop background with a hotkey/keyword. Not sure if this is possible.. please help!

Thanks.

Is the random selection a requirement? I already have a workflow created that will allow you to select a jpg or png and set it as the current wallpaper

Is the random selection a requirement? I already have a workflow created that will allow you to select a jpg or png and set it as the current wallpaper

Yes that would be ideal. You know the option in system preferences to change your desktop background every few minutes etc? I would like to somehow access that option with a hotkey/keyword in Alfred. So for example if i input the keyword, my background will randomly change (selecting an already saved image in system preferences) if that makes any sense. 

I use the killall Dock Terminal command to do precisely that all the time, and coincidentally I made a workflow to automate the process a few hours ago :D Warning: Terminating the Dock process may interfere with other things running on your computer, so use at your own risk. I've never had a problem with it though ;)

Download: Reboot Dock

Keyword: dock

Edited by Subject22

This is perhaps easier with a simple applescript and does not require rebooting the dock.

Make a new workflow in Alfred 2 using the Templates/Essentials/Keyword to Script

Define the stuff you want in the keyword ... you can delete the Keyword box after.

In the run script select Language: /usr/bin/osascript

In the script area paste the following:

property theSwitch : 0
if theSwitch = 0 then
tell application "System Events"
tell current desktop
set change interval to 1801.0
end tell
end tell
set theSwitch to 1
else
tell current desktop
set change interval to 1800.0
end tell
end tell
set theSwitch to 0
end if 

Save, then at the top right click on the "+" to add Trigger/Hotkey.
Assign whatever hotkey you want and click save.
Then, drag the connector of the hotkey over to the Run Script.

So now, whenever I don't want to see the currently displayed desktop [with Change picture: Every 30 minutes selected in Desktop & Screensaver], I just hit my hotkey and it just advances to the next random image.

Original script found at Mac OS X Hints

That script's nifty! But I believe you'd have to manually adjust the number of seconds (1800.0, in that example) to match your own settings. Below is a much more compact script adapted from one of the comments on the OS X Hints page that you linked to. It achieves the desired effect by simply setting the wallpaper change interval to itself.

tell current desktop
		set initInterval to get change interval -- Get current interval setting
		set change interval to initInterval -- Reset interval setting
	end tell
end tell

And here's the finished Workflow :-)

Skip%20Wallpaper.png

Download: Skip Wallpaper
Keyword: skip

EDIT: This is all assuming that you've got "Change Picture" enabled in System Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop. If you've got your wallpaper set to a static image and want something to change it to another static image then the solution would be a little more involved.

Edited by Subject22
  • 1 year later...

That script's nifty! But I believe you'd have to manually adjust the number of seconds (1800.0, in that example) to match your own settings. Below is a much more compact script adapted from one of the comments on the OS X Hints page that you linked to. It achieves the desired effect by simply setting the wallpaper change interval to itself.

tell current desktop
		set initInterval to get change interval -- Get current interval setting
		set change interval to initInterval -- Reset interval setting
	end tell
end tell

And here's the finished Workflow :-)

Skip%20Wallpaper.png

Download: Skip Wallpaper

Keyword: skip

EDIT: This is all assuming that you've got "Change Picture" enabled in System Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop. If you've got your wallpaper set to a static image and want something to change it to another static image then the solution would be a little more involved.

Subject22 can you supply a new link for this workflow please? Thanks in advance 

(mainly because i like the icon you've added - i dunno how to add that myself ;D

Edited by Arthur