shuntera

Not Finding Applications

Hav noticed this on 2 different machines running Alfred.  I hit Command-Space and start to type in the name of the application I want to run but the app name never turns up I just get the options to search on Google, Amazon and Wikipedia.

It seems to have resolved itself on one machine but not on this one.  I have tried issuing 'reload' in Alfred, but no change.

Hav noticed this on 2 different machines running Alfred.  I hit Command-Space and start to type in the name of the application I want to run but the app name never turns up I just get the options to search on Google, Amazon and Wikipedia.

It seems to have resolved itself on one machine but not on this one.  I have tried issuing 'reload' in Alfred, but no change.

Have you checked whether these apps are found by Spotlight? It may be that the metadata on your Mac is corrupted and just needs to be rebuilt. Have a look at this knowledge base for the steps to go through:

http://support.alfredapp.com/kb:indexing

(Note that sometimes, Spotlight will still appear to find the applications due to its temporary cache, and rebuilding will fix the issue so give it a go!) :)

Let me know how you get on :)

Have you checked whether these apps are found by Spotlight? It may be that the metadata on your Mac is corrupted and just needs to be rebuilt. Have a look at this knowledge base for the steps to go through:

http://support.alfredapp.com/kb:indexing

(Note that sometimes, Spotlight will still appear to find the applications due to its temporary cache, and rebuilding will fix the issue so give it a go!) :)

Let me know how you get on :)

I am having the same problem when I upgrade from v1. I took all of the steps above and still nothing. I have the old version running on another computer and it finds apps immediately after I install them.

I am having the same problem when I upgrade from v1. I took all of the steps above and still nothing. I have the old version running on another computer and it finds apps immediately after I install them.

Are your applications stored on your main HD with the path included in Alfred's index?

Have you reindexed and ensured Spotlight finished indexing? Once completed, did you clear Alfred's cache by typing "reload"?

If you've done the above and are still unsuccessful, could you please pick one of the applications that isn't showing up, open Terminal and copy the results of an mdls into this thread? Here's how you can do an mdls on one of your files:

http://support.alfredapp.com/kb:mdls

It'll allow me to see if the file has all the normal metadata expected from an application :)

Hi,

I'm also having this problem, specifically with an application that's in a /Applications/eclipse3.7 subfolder. There's an Eclipse.app in that folder that Alfred v1 was finding just fine, but v2 doesn't see it no matter what I try. I checked out that knowledgebase article. I did use the reload command and verified that Spotlight does find the app. I also explicitly added that folder to the default results search scope. Nothing works.

Is this a v2 bug or is there something else I can try?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm also having this problem, specifically with an application that's in a /Applications/eclipse3.7 subfolder. There's an Eclipse.app in that folder that Alfred v1 was finding just fine, but v2 doesn't see it no matter what I try. I checked out that knowledgebase article. I did use the reload command and verified that Spotlight does find the app. I also explicitly added that folder to the default results search scope. Nothing works.

Is this a v2 bug or is there something else I can try?

Thanks.

There are no bugs relating to finding Applications, so it's likely to be a minor issue on your Mac. Have you reindexed your Mac as per the first step of the knowledge base? :)

Could you also provide an mdls for the file? http://support.alfredapp.com/kb:mdls

I hope it is OK for me to hijack this thread.

have what sounds like the same problem. Difference being that reindexing (via Alfred reload) doesn't work on either my Laptop or my Desktop.

Some context:

I keep all my non-stock and non App Store applications in subfolders of the Applications folder. It is apps in these subfolders that seem to be the ones I cannot get Alfred 2 to recognize.

E.g. Typing "Cyber" into Alfred used to show Cyberduck (in /Applications/_Network). After the upgrade nothing is found.

I have added this subfolder to Alfred's settings (Default Results > Search Scope). Still nothing.

I re-indexed 2 days ago now and the computer was left on for a good 6-7 hours after starting the indexing. It was today rebooted. Still no Cyberduck. (or any other app in a subfolder)

The mdls of Cyberduck as an example. Not though that this problem is for all applications I have tried opening.

~ mdls /Applications/_Network/Cyberduck.app 
kMDItemAlternateNames          = (
    "Cyberduck.app"
)
kMDItemAppStoreCategory        = "Productivity"
kMDItemAppStoreCategoryType    = "public.app-category.productivity"
kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier      = "ch.sudo.cyberduck"
kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2011-12-12 09:38:40 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2011-12-12 09:38:40 +0000
kMDItemContentType             = "com.apple.application-bundle"
kMDItemContentTypeTree         = (
    "com.apple.application-bundle",
    "com.apple.application",
    "public.executable",
    "com.apple.localizable-name-bundle",
    "com.apple.bundle",
    "public.directory",
    "public.item",
    "com.apple.package"
)
kMDItemCopyright               = "Copyright 2001-2011 David V. Kocher"
kMDItemDateAdded               = 2012-08-17 11:24:38 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName             = "Cyberduck"
kMDItemExecutableArchitectures = (
    i386,
    "x86_64",
    ppc,
    ppc64
)
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate     = 2011-12-12 09:38:40 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate          = 2011-12-12 09:38:40 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode           = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags           = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon         = 0
kMDItemFSInvisible             = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden     = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery          = 0
kMDItemFSLabel                 = 0
kMDItemFSName                  = "Cyberduck.app"
kMDItemFSNodeCount             = 1
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID          = 20
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID           = 501
kMDItemFSSize                  = 35287407
kMDItemFSTypeCode              = ""
kMDItemKind                    = "Application"
kMDItemLanguages               = (
    bg,
    ca,
    cs,
    cy,
    da,
    de,
    el,
    en,
    es,
    fi,
    fr,
    he,
    hu,
    id,
    it,
    ja,
    ka,
    ko,
    lv,
    nl,
    no,
    pl,
    "pt_BR",
    "pt_PT",
    ro,
    ru,
    sk,
    sl,
    sr,
    sv,
    th,
    tr,
    uk,
    "zh_CN",
    "zh_TW"
)
kMDItemLastUsedDate            = 2013-04-08 06:54:33 +0000
kMDItemLogicalSize             = 35287407
kMDItemPhysicalSize            = 38465536
kMDItemUseCount                = 10
kMDItemUsedDates               = (
    "2012-08-16 22:00:00 +0000",
    "2012-08-27 22:00:00 +0000",
    "2012-10-09 22:00:00 +0000",
    "2013-01-01 23:00:00 +0000",
    "2013-01-03 23:00:00 +0000",
    "2013-02-28 23:00:00 +0000",
    "2013-03-14 23:00:00 +0000",
    "2013-03-17 23:00:00 +0000",
    "2013-04-07 22:00:00 +0000"
)
kMDItemVersion                 = "4.2.1"
 ~ 

Edited by eimer

I hope it is OK for me to hijack this thread.

have what sounds like the same problem. Difference being that reindexing (via Alfred reload)

Some context:

I keep all my non-stock and non App Store applications in subfolders of the Applications folder. It is apps in these subfolders that seem to be the ones I cannot get Alfred 2 to recognize.

E.g. Typing "Cyber" into Alfred used to show Cyberduck (in /Applications/_Network). After the upgrade nothing is found.

I have added this subfolder to Alfred's settings (Default Results > Search Scope). Still nothing.

I re-indexed 2 days ago now and the computer was left on for a good 6-7 hours after starting the indexing. It was today rebooted. Still no Cyberduck. (or any other app in a subfolder)

The mdls of Cyberduck as an example. Not though that this problem is for all applications I have tried opening.

Could you grab dev b180 http://cachefly.alfredapp.com/Alfred_2.0.2_180.zip which has a fix to do with Spotlight Comments which may affect your situation. Let me know if that helps :)

I am also finding that Alfred won't find applications that exist in subfolders of the Applications folder.  This includes Microsoft Office 2011, iWork, and a couple of folders I created myself, such as "Video Editing."  I did download the build that Andrew suggested, but it did not help.

I am also finding that Alfred won't find applications that exist in subfolders of the Applications folder.  This includes Microsoft Office 2011, iWork, and a couple of folders I created myself, such as "Video Editing."  I did download the build that Andrew suggested, but it did not help.

Have you tried reindexing? Also, try temporarily renaming the Office 2011 / iWork folder to something else which may kick spotlight to reindex these.

... hello same here - just that it applies also to apps directly in the applications folder.

did reindexing, did re-set the applications folder within Alfred, did "reload"...

all the apps are actually correctly listed within Spotlight. so no problem there...

... hello same here - just that it applies also to apps directly in the applications folder.

did reindexing, did re-set the applications folder within Alfred, did "reload"...

all the apps are actually correctly listed within Spotlight. so no problem there...

Are you using 2.0.3? Could you do the mdls on an Application which isn't found as listed previously?

hey Andrew - thanks for quick response. actually it was still 2.0.2. an update on 2.0.3 resolved that.

... why Alfred didn´t auto-update as it was checkboxed for that, i don´t know... but problem now solved. thanks!

keep up the good work!

oliver

I have the same problem with a lot of apps- both native OS X apps, and 3rd party. 

- Every app is in /Applications/

- typing /Application/{name} finds the app

- I've rebuilt the spotlight index

- I've reloaded alfred cache. 

...and yet, nothing fixes the problem. I can't even search for iTunes without typing /Applications/ first.

(using 2.0.3)

Edited by FiZ

I'm having these same problems with 2.0.3. I've tried all proposed solutions. Spotlight finds all applications, but Alfred2 finds only some of them. Performing a "Rebuild all OS X Metadata" results in changes to the subset of the applications that are found, but there are still several applications that are not found (a different subset). I took a screencast and ran mdls to demonstrate the behavior.

Screencast: http://jamesajones.net/alfred2.m4v

mdls: http://jamesajones.net/alfred2-1.txt

If there is anything else that I can do to help diagnose this issue, just let me know.

Would you mind temporarily creating a new user account on your Mac and switching to that user, then seeing if apps are found on that account. This will rule out any configuration or permission issues with your current account.

Cheers,

Andrew

So, I've been finding that (usually), when I launch an app by typing /Applications/{app} in Alfred, Alfred will find that name in the search results afterwards. Sometimes, it takes a couple of full-path launches, but it seems to work more often than not.

So, I've been finding that (usually), when I launch an app by typing /Applications/{app} in Alfred, Alfred will find that name in the search results afterwards. Sometimes, it takes a couple of full-path launches, but it seems to work more often than not.

By prefixing with /Applications, Alfred will be entering File System navigation which will naturally work.

I'd like to find out why Alfred isn't seeing applications by default for you. Did you try a new user account temporarily?

I'm new to Alfred (replacing quicksilver, or trying to) and I have the same issue. I try to start Excel, and Alfred starts the windows version I have in Parallels - which wastes a lot of time. In fact, there's a fair number of apps it doesn't find (such as cyberduck. Sadly, quicksilver does...

G

I'm new to Alfred (replacing quicksilver, or trying to) and I have the same issue. I try to start Excel, and Alfred starts the windows version I have in Parallels - which wastes a lot of time. In fact, there's a fair number of apps it doesn't find (such as cyberduck. Sadly, quicksilver does...

G

Have you tried reindexing your Mac?

Would you mind temporarily creating a new user account on your Mac and switching to that user, then seeing if apps are found on that account. This will rule out any configuration or permission issues with your current account.

Cheers,

Andrew

Great suggestion — I had not yet tried that. Unfortunately, after creating a new user (with Administrator privileges), the same exact applications are missing from its Alfred index. And not surprisingly, Spotlight finds them all under that new account just the same as my normal account (which is also Admin privileges). 

The strangest thing about this bug is that Alfred2 always finds some of my applications, but also does not find others. Every time that I reindex Spotlight, the set of apps found and unfound changes. In addition to trying the new user that you suggested and the steps that I took in the screencast (i.e., checking Spotlight privacy, reloading Alfred's cache, reindexing Spotlight, rebooting the machine), I also performed a Disk Utility check to ensure that I wasn't having some disk errors — the disk check came out clean. No errors.

For convenience, here are the links again to the screencast http://jamesajones.net/alfred2.m4v and mdls output http://jamesajones.net/alfred2-1.txt

Thank you for looking into this. I'd love to get to the bottom of this, so if there is anything else that I can do to help debug this, I'm happy to help.

Edited by jimj

I just tried one more thing: I installed Alfred on a different machine, and it is finding all applications flawlessly. 

One other point that I thought of that may be different for the machine that is revealing the bug: the /Users directory is being mounted separately, whereas the root "/" directory and drive contains the /Applications directory. That is to say, everything is on the root/boot drive, except /Users and its subdirectories, which is mounted at boot time by /etc/fstab. Spotlight finds everything and is not confused, but strangely Alfred is finding some, but not all, applications in /Applications.