shuntera

Not Finding Applications

They should be in search scope - nested a bit deeper of course.  In this example, the file is in ~/Dropbox/Documents (which is also symlinked from ~/Documents).  It's just odd that this only happens on one computer - which is nearly identical in file structure - same symlinks and such and the Dropbox folder is identical... and Alfred should have the same settings.    

Could you provide an mdls in Terminal for one of the files which isn't being found. This may give a clue as to why things aren't working.

It looks identical to the mdls on my desktop:

kMDItemAlternateNames          = (
    "Rich.numbers"
)
kMDItemAuthors                 = (
    ""
)
kMDItemComment                 = ""
kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2013-05-25 20:20:36 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2013-05-25 20:20:36 +0000
kMDItemContentType             = "com.apple.iwork.numbers.sffnumbers"
kMDItemContentTypeTree         = (
    "com.apple.iwork.numbers.sffnumbers",
    "com.pkware.zip-archive",
    "public.data",
    "public.item",
    "com.apple.bom-archive",
    "public.archive",
    "public.zip-archive",
    "public.composite-content",
    "public.content"
)
kMDItemDateAdded               = 2013-05-25 20:20:42 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName             = "Rich"
kMDItemFonts                   = (
    ArialMT,
    HelveticaNeue,
    "HelveticaNeue-Bold",
    LucidaGrande,
    "MarkerFelt-Thin",
    Monaco,
    Tahoma
)
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate     = 2013-05-25 20:20:36 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate          = 2013-05-25 20:20:36 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode           = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags           = 16
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon         = 0
kMDItemFSInvisible             = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden     = 1
kMDItemFSIsStationery          = 0
kMDItemFSLabel                 = 0
kMDItemFSName                  = "Rich.numbers"
kMDItemFSNodeCount             = 130511
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID          = 20
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID           = 501
kMDItemFSSize                  = 130511
kMDItemFSTypeCode              = ""
kMDItemKeywords                = (
    ""
)
kMDItemKind                    = "Numbers Spreadsheet"
kMDItemLogicalSize             = 130511
kMDItemPhysicalSize            = 131072
kMDItemTitle                   = ""

Again, Spotlight finds it immediately.

Ok... this seems odd...  

If I try to "search for file" in Alfred (space then file name), it can't find it.

Another spreadsheet that it finds without issue the "standard" way it is able to find via search for file fine.

Bizaare.  

Ok... this seems odd...  

If I try to "search for file" in Alfred (space then file name), it can't find it.

Another spreadsheet that it finds without issue the "standard" way it is able to find via search for file fine.

Bizaare.  

Could you try fully rebuilding your index from terminal (also deleting the spotlight data):

http://skillzdesign.com/blog/clarifies/forcing-spotlight-reindexing-using-terminal/

Also, if you open Console.app, are you seeing any errors showing for Alfred / metadata?

I'll do that now...

Also – honestly, I would normally not pursue an issue like this but Alfred is so integral to my workflow now, it's like I'm missing some fingers when it doesn't work right for me.  :-)

In other words, I love your software and it rocks...

I'll do that now...

Also – honestly, I would normally not pursue an issue like this but Alfred is so integral to my workflow now, it's like I'm missing some fingers when it doesn't work right for me.  :-)

In other words, I love your software and it rocks...

No worries, I'd love to get to the bottom of this issue for you as it should work identically on both of your Macs! :)

Ok... it's reindexing... saw nothing in console from Alfred, although I did see numerous: 

mdworker:  Unable to talk to lsboxd

sandboxd:  mdworker deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd

Not sure if that is meaningful.

I'll post back after the index completes...

Ok... the brute force method of deleting the Spotlight-V100 filed and running the two mdutil commands apparently fixed it.

So, I'm guessing that it's a deeper reset than the Rebuild OS X Metadata in the Alfred preference panes?  (which is what I was doing - although I know I've run some mdutil commands in the past to reset I believe, but I don't ever remember physically deleting the Spotlight file).

Woot!

You can update to the 2.0.4 pre-release, which was released last night :) Let us know how it goes.

Done. After rebuilding the index it seems to find a lot more applications, but not all. Also missing several System Preferences panels from the results (Spotlight seems fine with both.)

Here's the mdls of one such app:

$ mdls /Applications/Airfoil.app/
kMDItemAlternateNames          = (
    "Airfoil.app"
)
kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier      = "com.rogueamoeba.Airfoil"
kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2012-12-27 07:38:36 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2012-12-27 07:38:36 +0000
kMDItemContentType             = "com.apple.application-bundle"
kMDItemContentTypeTree         = (
    "com.apple.application-bundle",
    "com.apple.application",
    "public.executable",
    "com.apple.localizable-name-bundle",
    "com.apple.bundle",
    "public.directory",
    "public.item",
    "com.apple.package"
)
kMDItemDateAdded               = 2013-04-22 17:06:16 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName             = "Airfoil"
kMDItemExecutableArchitectures = (
    i386
)
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate     = 2012-12-27 07:38:36 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate          = 2012-12-27 07:38:36 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode           = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags           = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon         = 0
kMDItemFSInvisible             = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden     = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery          = 0
kMDItemFSLabel                 = 0
kMDItemFSName                  = "Airfoil.app"
kMDItemFSNodeCount             = 1
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID          = 80
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID           = 1397807616
kMDItemFSSize                  = 14376185
kMDItemFSTypeCode              = ""
kMDItemKind                    = "Application"
kMDItemLanguages               = (
    English
)
kMDItemLogicalSize             = 14376185
kMDItemPhysicalSize            = 16125952
kMDItemVersion                 = "4.7.5"

Ok... the brute force method of deleting the Spotlight-V100 filed and running the two mdutil commands apparently fixed it.

So, I'm guessing that it's a deeper reset than the Rebuild OS X Metadata in the Alfred preference panes?  (which is what I was doing - although I know I've run some mdutil commands in the past to reset I believe, but I don't ever remember physically deleting the Spotlight file).

Woot!

Alfred does a much less aggressive reindex from the button (i.e. not deleting the Spotlight-V100 folder), so there could have been permission issues or corruption inside this folder. Glad it's sorted!

Done. After rebuilding the index it seems to find a lot more applications, but not all. Also missing several System Preferences panels from the results (Spotlight seems fine with both.)

As rwc3 said, did you do the harder rebuild as per that link?

I am having a similar issue with applications and preferences not showing up as expected. If I write "key" all I get is "Keynote", but I would expect to get the "Keyboard preference pane" as well. The only way to get that to show up is to write " key" (space key). Preferences is checked under essentials. It shows up without any problems on Spotlight. Also, if I write "mail" I get both the mail app and the mail preference pane.

Any suggestions?

On a somewhat related note: why doesn't Alfred transfer the remembered order between my different computers when I have sync set up. I would like it, so that if I wrote the same thing on two different computers I got the same set of suggested apps/files/whatever.

I am having a similar issue with applications and preferences not showing up as expected. If I write "key" all I get is "Keynote", but I would expect to get the "Keyboard preference pane" as well. The only way to get that to show up is to write " key" (space key). Preferences is checked under essentials. It shows up without any problems on Spotlight. Also, if I write "mail" I get both the mail app and the mail preference pane.

Any suggestions?

On a somewhat related note: why doesn't Alfred transfer the remembered order between my different computers when I have sync set up. I would like it, so that if I wrote the same thing on two different computers I got the same set of suggested apps/files/whatever.

Did you try a low level reset of metadata: http://skillzdesign.com/blog/clarifies/forcing-spotlight-reindexing-using-terminal/

As for remembered order, knowledge is treated separately per Mac as you may have different apps and files on that mac.

Did you try a low level reset of metadata: http://skillzdesign.com/blog/clarifies/forcing-spotlight-reindexing-using-terminal/

As for remembered order, knowledge is treated separately per Mac as you may have different apps and files on that mac.

Yes, and that didn't seem to fix it. So I updated to the latest pre-release (2.0.4), and cleared Alfred's app cache. And rebuilt OS X metadata. And cleared Alfred's knowledge. Nothing seemed to work. Then I restarted. Magically, everything started to work. Whooohooo! As far as I can tell Alfred is now finding everything I can think of searching for.

Just a ' me too' here. Upgraded from 1.x to 2.0.4 today – rebuild spotlight index didn't help. Some apps will be found (even in sub-folders), but some not (e.g. Chrome, Safari). Strange: Numbers could not be found (in it's sub-directory \iWork'09). But, Pages (same dir) was found immediately. After a while, Numbers was found, too.

(However, still missing my most used applications, see above).

UPDATE: After submitting this post (and about 30 minutes after rebuilding the Spotlight Index) the missing Applications Chrome & Safari were found. But now Apple Mail is gone. Odd.

Edited by Oliver

Oliver - did you do the brute force / low level method of clearing and rebuilding Spotlight data (including physically removing the Spotlight-V100 file)?  That seem to be the difference for me.  

It cleared up all the same issues you are mentioning.

The more concerning problem I have now is that it appears that my Spotlight data gets "corrupted" after every reboot.  Deleting that file and reindexing every time I reboot is pretty annoying.   Oddly, this behavior doesn't happen on my Mac Pro. 

OK, I tried this "low level reset of metadata" as mentioned above. Now I can see … even more applications! But not all. :-(

For example, I cannot start the "Dictionary.app" from the applications folder. Though, I can navigate via Alfred to /Applications/Dictionary.app but I cannot start it directly by typing e.g. LX (in german it's name is LeXikon). I cannot even find or see it by typing "Dictionary". (the "define" shortcut works, BTW).

OK, I tried this "low level reset of metadata" as mentioned above. Now I can see … even more applications! But not all. :-(

For example, I cannot start the "Dictionary.app" from the applications folder. Though, I can navigate via Alfred to /Applications/Dictionary.app but I cannot start it directly by typing e.g. LX (in german it's name is LeXikon). I cannot even find or see it by typing "Dictionary". (the "define" shortcut works, BTW).

Could you please download this app:

http://cachefly.alfredapp.com/tools/AlfredMetadataTool_v1.0.zip

...and drag one of the apps which isn't being found into it and paste the response here!

Cheers,

Andrew

I am having this problem too, with Pages.app located in /Applications/iWork '08.

Alfred returns two different sets of results, one containing Pages.app and the other not. The set that has Pages.app appears to be returned after an extended period of not using Alfred. Once used, Alfred returns the set that does not contain Pages.app perhaps 90% of the time (or more frequently).

I have discovered that changing the Results Limit between 20 and 40 often causes Alfred to return one or the other sets of results, but it is not the case that using 20 or 40 always causes the Pages.app set to be returned -- rather, changing the Results Limit causes a different set of results to be returned.

Short of completely reindexing my HD, I put /Applications in spotlight's Privacy list, logged out and in, removed /Applications from the Privacy list, and waited until all md* processes stopped consuming any CPU. This did not fix the problem. In addition, I explicitly added /Applications/iWork '08 to Alfred's Search Scope, and this too did not fix the problem.

Alfred 2.0.4 (199) in 10.8.2.

HTH.

I am having this problem too, with Pages.app located in /Applications/iWork '08.

Alfred returns two different sets of results, one containing Pages.app and the other not. The set that has Pages.app appears to be returned after an extended period of not using Alfred. Once used, Alfred returns the set that does not contain Pages.app perhaps 90% of the time (or more frequently).

I have discovered that changing the Results Limit between 20 and 40 often causes Alfred to return one or the other sets of results, but it is not the case that using 20 or 40 always causes the Pages.app set to be returned -- rather, changing the Results Limit causes a different set of results to be returned.

Short of completely reindexing my HD, I put /Applications in spotlight's Privacy list, logged out and in, removed /Applications from the Privacy list, and waited until all md* processes stopped consuming any CPU. This did not fix the problem. In addition, I explicitly added /Applications/iWork '08 to Alfred's Search Scope, and this too did not fix the problem.

Alfred 2.0.4 (199) in 10.8.2.

HTH.

Could you download the metadata tool in the previous post and let me know what you get for Pages.app?

Also, could you turn off documents etc in your default results for now (Prefs > Features > Default Results), just have Applications listed by default.

This is the output from your metadata tool:

/Applications/iWork '08/Pages.app

Internal File Metadata
======================

Display Name: Pages
    Alt Names: Pages.app
    File Type: com.apple.application-bundle
     Comments:
     Keywords:
    Last Used:

Raw mdls File Metadata
======================

kMDItemAlternateNames          = (
    "Pages.app"
)
kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier      = "com.apple.iWork.Pages"
kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2007-09-26 15:30:55 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2010-12-29 17:45:14 +0000
kMDItemContentType             = "com.apple.application-bundle"
kMDItemContentTypeTree         = (
    "com.apple.application-bundle",
    "com.apple.application",
    "public.executable",
    "com.apple.localizable-name-bundle",
    "com.apple.bundle",
    "public.directory",
    "public.item",
    "com.apple.package"
)
kMDItemDateAdded               = 2013-06-09 23:28:00 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName             = "Pages"
kMDItemExecutableArchitectures = (
    i386,
    ppc
)
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate     = 2010-12-29 17:45:14 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate          = 2007-09-26 15:30:55 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode           = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags           = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon         = 0
kMDItemFSInvisible             = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden     = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery          = 0
kMDItemFSLabel                 = 0
kMDItemFSName                  = "Pages.app"
kMDItemFSNodeCount             = 1
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID          = 80
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID           = 0
kMDItemFSSize                  = 256028028
kMDItemFSTypeCode              = ""
kMDItemKind                    = "Application"
kMDItemLanguages               = (
    Dutch,
    English,
    French,
    German,
    Italian,
    Japanese,
    Spanish,
    "zh_CN"
)
kMDItemLogicalSize             = 256028028
kMDItemPhysicalSize            = 279777280
kMDItemVersion                 = "3.0.3"

I removed everything except /Applications from Search Scope and unchecked "Include folders in Home". Alfred appears to be returning only one set of results that contains 9 items, all based off of /Applications. Changing Result Limit appears to have no effect on the set returned.

I then checked "Include folders in Home". No change in behavior from the above. (I keep all of my data on a separate volume named Data.)

I then added my Data volume: /Volumes/Data.

- test 1: result limit 40: Pages.app does not appear in the results.

- test 2: result limit 40: Pages.app DOES appear in the first page of the results. This results are different from test 1.

- test 3: result limit 40: Pages.app does not appear in the results.

- test 4: result limit 20: Pages.app DOES appear in the first page of the results. This results are different from test 1.

- test 5: result limit 20: Pages.app does not appear in the results.

These tests conducted as fast as I can type their results, over a period of a couple of minutes.

PS: I also tried (yesterday) moving Pages.app from /Applications/iWork '08 to /Applications. Alfred could not find Pages.app consistently.

Second PS: It is anomalous that Alfred alternates from finding and not finding Pages .app every other attempt as reported above. Usually, it is found, then not many times, the found once or twice, then not many times, etc.

Edited by beekay

Second PS: It is anomalous that Alfred alternates from finding and not finding Pages .app every other attempt as reported above. Usually, it is found, then not many times, the found once or twice, then not many times, etc.

Could you check that you only have one instance of Alfred running in Activity monitor?

There is only one instance of Alfred running. It is called Alfred 2.

I forgot to mention that I do not have the Powerpack installed.

Edit: If I type "o pages" (o for open) and then backspace and remove "s", sometimes Pages.app will appear in the list.

Second edit: Another forum member emailed me that apps can be found simply by typing the name of the app, and that the "open" prefix is not necessary. (Thank you for that info!) This works perfectly, so maybe I'm just "holding it wrong"...but I still wonder why different sets of results are returned when the same command is typed mere seconds apart.

Edited by beekay