shuntera

Not Finding Applications

This just happened to me. Spotlight and LaunchBar find these applications just fine. So, to say this "isn't a bug" is just false. This is a bug and it should be fixed.

I have to say, reading through this thread I've been dismayed with the official responses. Repeatedly asking customers to reproduce and diagnose your bugs for you is not cool. This isn't an open-source app; we've paid a decent amount of money (those of us with a Powerpack anyway), and as professionals you should be reproducing and fixing these bugs on your own. And an apology would be nice.

This bug also damages the trust we have that Alfred knows about and will display everything we need it to. So I don't really feel comfortable using it until it's explained and fixed. Spotlight and LaunchBar have no problems locating the same item.

This just happened to me. Spotlight and LaunchBar find these applications just fine. So, to say this "isn't a bug" is just false. This is a bug and it should be fixed.

I have to say, reading through this thread I've been dismayed with the official responses. Repeatedly asking customers to reproduce and diagnose your bugs for you is not cool. This isn't an open-source app; we've paid a decent amount of money (those of us with a Powerpack anyway), and as professionals you should be reproducing and fixing these bugs on your own. And an apology would be nice.

This bug also damages the trust we have that Alfred knows about and will display everything we need it to. So I don't really feel comfortable using it until it's explained and fixed. Spotlight and LaunchBar have no problems locating the same item.

Alfred uses OS X's metadata index to find applications, and if for some reason, apps aren't being returned to Alfred by OS X, Alfred naturally can't show them. In every case, this is fixed with either...

1. Re-indexing OS X (to reset OS X's metadata so that apps can be returned to Alfred again)

2. Repairing OS X's permissions (in case Alfred can't write his cache database to disk)

3. Checking that apps aren't excluded from being shown from Alfred's Default search scope.

4. Checking Spotlight's privacy settings

The reason this isn't treated as a bug is that app searching is core to Alfred and works beautifully for many millions of users. Unfortunately, when the metadata quirks for a handful of users (as seen in this thread), it may stop working, but can always be fixed if the underlying issue is addressed.

If a reindex doesn't fix your issue, I'd be happy to walk you through some other solutions if you pop an email to info@alfredapp com from your registered Powerpack address  :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Hello,

I am having the exact same issues : Applications are displayed and found by spotlight but not by Alfred. It has been working well for the past year but since a few days it's not working anymore.

I reindexed OS X Metadata, Repaired OS X permission, the App checkbox in alfred is greyed out but checked and I do not have any exclusion on my spotlight privacy settings, and also followed instructions here : http://skillzdesign.com/blog/clarifies/forcing-spotlight-reindexing-using-terminal/ , and also tried to remove Alfred's settings file but without luck.

Is there anything else I can try to get my apps back in Alfred ? Thanks a lot,

Hello,

I am having the exact same issues : Applications are displayed and found by spotlight but not by Alfred. It has been working well for the past year but since a few days it's not working anymore.

I reindexed OS X Metadata, Repaired OS X permission, the App checkbox in alfred is greyed out but checked and I do not have any exclusion on my spotlight privacy settings, and also followed instructions here : http://skillzdesign.com/blog/clarifies/forcing-spotlight-reindexing-using-terminal/ , and also tried to remove Alfred's settings file but without luck.

Is there anything else I can try to get my apps back in Alfred ? Thanks a lot,

Could you check that /Applications is listed in Alfred's Features > Default Results > Search Scope. If so, can you drag one of the applications not being found into this tool and let me know the response:

http://cachefly.alfredapp.com/tools/AlfredMetadataTool_v1.0.zip

Cheers,

Andrew

Actually I did not notice that the scope section was completely blank, everything was removed ( I don't know how it happens) a click on the reset button and everything is working again !

Thanks for your help,

Actually I did not notice that the scope section was completely blank, everything was removed ( I don't know how it happens) a click on the reset button and everything is working again !

Thanks for your help,

Fab, glad it was easy! :)

Andrew, 

I am a passionate Alfred user (and evangelist). I'm running v2.2 (243) on OSX 10.9.2 and am having the same issue. For some reason, I can't find "Google Chrome" when I search. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Screen%20Shot%202014-03-16%20at%2011.41.

Screen%20Shot%202014-03-16%20at%2011.41.

I have tried: 

All seems to be well. I dragged the application into the tool you linked to above and here are the results: 

/Applications/Google Chrome.app

Internal File Metadata
======================

Display Name: Google Chrome
    Alt Names: Google Chrome, GC, Google Chrome.app
    File Type: com.apple.application-bundle
     Comments: alfred:ignore
     Keywords: 
    Last Used: 2014-03-16 15:28:33 +0000

Raw mdls File Metadata
======================

kMDItemAlternateNames          = (
    "Google Chrome",
    GC,
    "Google Chrome.app"
)
kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier      = "com.google.Chrome"
kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2013-07-24 22:16:13 +0000
kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2014-03-14 04:44:22 +0000
kMDItemContentType             = "com.apple.application-bundle"
kMDItemContentTypeTree         = (
    "com.apple.application-bundle",
    "com.apple.application",
    "public.executable",
    "com.apple.localizable-name-bundle",
    "com.apple.bundle",
    "public.directory",
    "public.item",
    "com.apple.package"
)
kMDItemCopyright               = "Copyright 2014 Google Inc. All rights reserved."
kMDItemDateAdded               = 2014-01-12 00:41:36 +0000
kMDItemDisplayName             = "Google Chrome"
kMDItemExecutableArchitectures = (
    i386
)
kMDItemFinderComment           = "alfred:ignore"
kMDItemFSContentChangeDate     = 2014-03-14 04:44:22 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate          = 2013-07-24 22:16:13 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode           = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags           = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon         = 0
kMDItemFSInvisible             = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden     = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery          = 0
kMDItemFSLabel                 = 0
kMDItemFSName                  = "Google Chrome.app"
kMDItemFSNodeCount             = 1
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID          = 80
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID           = 501
kMDItemFSSize                  = 1
kMDItemFSTypeCode              = ""
kMDItemKind                    = "Application"
kMDItemLanguages               = (
    am,
    ar,
    bg,
    bn,
    ca,
    cs,
    da,
    de,
    el,
    en,
    "en_GB",
    es,
    "es_419",
    et,
    fa,
    fi,
    fil,
    fr,
    gu,
    he,
    hi,
    hr,
    hu,
    id,
    it,
    ja,
    kn,
    ko,
    lt,
    lv,
    ml,
    mr,
    ms,
    nb,
    nl,
    pl,
    "pt_BR",
    "pt_PT",
    ro,
    ru,
    sk,
    sl,
    sr,
    sv,
    sw,
    ta,
    te,
    th,
    tr,
    uk,
    vi,
    "zh_CN",
    "zh_TW"
)
kMDItemLastUsedDate            = 2014-03-16 15:28:33 +0000
kMDItemLogicalSize             = 309266386
kMDItemPhysicalSize            = 310210560
kMDItemUseCount                = 3
kMDItemUsedDates               = (
    "2014-03-16 04:00:00 +0000"
)
kMDItemVersion                 = "33.0.1750.152"

Andrew, 

I am a passionate Alfred user (and evangelist). I'm running v2.2 (243) on OSX 10.9.2 and am having the same issue. For some reason, I can't find "Google Chrome" when I search. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

It looks like you have an alfred:ignore spotlight comment on Google Chrome... Remove this in Finder, then Alfred should find it! :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew, 

That is so strange...there weren't any comments when I got info on the app! I unlocked it, selected the field, and deleted just to see what would happen. It works. 

Thanks for your help! Next time I'll read the code more carefully before just pasting it. That was my oversight. 

—Eric

Andrew, 

That is so strange...there weren't any comments when I got info on the app! I unlocked it, selected the field, and deleted just to see what would happen. It works. 

Thanks for your help! Next time I'll read the code more carefully before just pasting it. That was my oversight. 

—Eric

No worries, glad there was a simple solution :)

**Important: I think I have an easy solution for those who have trouble finding applications using alfred

If you have alfred 2, delete the v1 /Alfred folder in:

~/Library/Application Support

or both alfred folders - I had the original /Alfred and the /Alfred 2 folders - deleted both, then deleted app, reinstalled, and finally got this problem solved

I had upgraded to Alfred 2 over Alfred v1 and tried all the solutions recommended here:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/troubleshooting/indexing/

and nothing worked, until i browsed this thread which led me to try solution above