Why favicon not supported ?

tig

It is very difficult to see the bookmarks because they all have the same icon.

It is also ugly as an application design.

When searching bookmarks with vimium (chrome extension), favicons is supported by default.

Will it be supported in version 5?

Welcome @tig,

3 hours ago, tig said:

When searching bookmarks with vimium (chrome extension), favicons is supported by default.

Browsers extensions can have permissions external tools won’t, that’s why they’re implemented as extensions. As someone who is building a Workflow which does use favicons, this is not a straightforward problem. One can’t easily grab the favicons from the browser’s cache and associate them to the correct domain (at least not on Safari). Nor is there a simple and reliable way to get favicons at all from websites, let alone high (or even medium) resolution icons. Some services make available the low resolution versions, which look pixelated in a larger interface such as Alfred results. Plus, favicons are often monocoloured blobs which won’t be legible in some themes.

Thank you for answering, @vitor

I didn't know the detail of the browser, but I understood the difficulty.

I thought that since it could get bookmarks and history, it could easily get favicons too !

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure I understand how this is unfeasible for Alfred to implement... In a probable majority of cases, you can just query {domain}/favicon.(ico|png|jpg) and get a 200 response with the icon... If it doesn't look good, so be it — at least the app tried for me rather than just forcing me to do all the manual work of finding, saving, and dragging the icon around to the little square target on the Web Search window.

A slightly more complex implementation — but still dead simple — is to just parse the HTML of the page for the <link rel="shortcut icon" /> which definitively points to the icon if there is one.