Automation Task: Open new Safari/Chromium/WebKit window validates unused {query} input [Fixed EA7 b2043]

aiyo

Hi 

It seems that the input to Open new Safari/Chromium/WebKit window AT is always validated for a valid URL even if a static URL is set in the AT.

I would expect the correct behaviour should be to ignore the input if a static URL is given. Am I mistaken ?

It works this way because the input validation is done separately from the configuration.

Fastest way to handle it: right click the Automation Task → Inbound Configuration… → tick the Custom Argument box (leave it empty). That will override the input, making it empty.

Posted (edited)

To me the AT feels broken if you want to use it for a static typed URL.

Firstly because it's puzzling to get an error of invalid input when a static URL is given. Secondly there is no validation on the static URL. Thirdly One might want to pass the Bundle Identifier of the browser to open (only for Webkit/Chromium).

I can make workarounds of all of the above, but it's not a very user-friendly implementation in my opinion.

Edited by aiyo

Posted (edited)

I'm fairly new to workflows but the Automation Tasks has opened many doors for me.

I was doing a simple keyword > with argument and one particular argument triggered a "quit apps" automated task.

It worked if I directly linked the keyword(s) with no argument ("swork quit") -> Quit Apps but it failed if I triggered a conditional through an argument (swork -> if "quit" argument then quit apps).

If I followed the advice to tick Custom Argument but leave it blank, the second scenario worked fine.

This is 5.0 EA7 and AT 2022.1.

This seems related to what @aiyo was experiencing (which is why I'm posting it here) and the solution (ticking the Inbound Configuration>Custom Argument checkbox) worked for me however for such a simple workflow it seems unintuitive that I'd have to tick this "hidden" box. 

Has the solution mentioned by @Andrew and @vitor not been implemented yet? I'm so sorry for my ignorance here and promise to read more to get a better feel for the forums. My overconfidence with the new automation task object is telling.

Note: Quit Apps fails if the apps aren't open already, I wonder if it should just exit gracefully if it can't find the app open or if I need to also conditionally quit the apps "if app is open then quit it". I'm not sure how I'd do the latter and am not overfly familiar with scripting which is why the automation tasks are so alluring to me.

Edit: as a side note, being able to drag the apps in to the Quit Apps automation task would be uber useful!

I've included a screenshot of my completely dumb, non-functional workflow (note ticking that Custom Argument checkbox did fix it though).

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 10.29.43 AM.png

Edit: for clarity.

Edited by happycatmachine

Welcome @happycatmachine,

4 hours ago, happycatmachine said:

I'm fairly new to workflows but the Automation Tasks has opened many doors for me.

Glad to read that!

5 hours ago, happycatmachine said:

AT 2022.1.

Update to 2022.2 for the fix.

5 hours ago, happycatmachine said:

This seems related to what @aiyo was experiencing (which is why I'm posting it here) and the solution (ticking the Inbound Configuration>Custom Argument checkbox) worked for me however for such a simple workflow it seems unintuitive that I'd have to tick this "hidden" box. 

Not quite the same thing, but good deduction nonetheless. In the browser case, either the input or the configured URL is opened, meaning it was validating something which would be discarded. In quitting apps, both input and configuration work together.

6 hours ago, happycatmachine said:

Note: Quit Apps fails if the apps aren't open already

I can’t reproduce that, it’s working with unopened apps. However, it did fail (in 2022.1) with non-existent/not-installed apps, which is why passing quit failed (as presumably you don’t have an app with that name).

6 hours ago, happycatmachine said:

I've included a screenshot

No need this time, but for future reports please upload the Workflow itself (https://transfer.sh is good temporary storage) so we can take a proper look in context. Think of a screenshot like showing a picture of your car to a mechanic: they might still figure out the issue, but bringing the car in is more effective and most often a necessity.

• Andrew changed the title to Automation Task: Open new Safari/Chromium/WebKit window validates unused {query} input [Fixed EA7 b2043]