Edit with… 4.1 beta for Alfred 4: A QuickCursor alternative

MacVim requires an adjustment as seen in post #43 above.

I’m using ByWord and everything looks fine. Maybe it is a matter of file format (again, see post #43 above).

Anyway, please make a test with other text editor such as the Mac OSX default one (TextEdit.app).

Thank you for your feedback! :)

Ups, seems like I should have read a bit more, sorry for that one :P

(So ^M now works fine)

The editwith -> pasteback -> editwith is a bit strange. 

I have played around with it for half an hour now and don't know 

whats going on. Sometimes it just won't copy the text into vim 

and from then on I always get two error-bells when typing editwithmacvim. 

(then editwith textedit won't work, too).

Deleting the text.txt made textedit work again, but not vim. 

Well, most of the time it didn't let vim work again ... sometimes it did ...

The strange thing is, that just :q! this text.txt does not help, but 

:wq  on the empty text.txt helps.

I'll have to try again tomorrow =)

Ups, seems like I should have read a bit more, sorry for that one :P

(So ^M now works fine)

The editwith -> pasteback -> editwith is a bit strange. 

I have played around with it for half an hour now and don't know 

whats going on. Sometimes it just won't copy the text into vim 

and from then on I always get two error-bells when typing editwithmacvim. 

(then editwith textedit won't work, too).

Deleting the text.txt made textedit work again, but not vim. 

Well, most of the time it didn't let vim work again ... sometimes it did ...

The strange thing is, that just :q! this text.txt does not help, but 

:wq  on the empty text.txt helps.

I'll have to try again tomorrow =)

Please, let me know your step by step...

Here’s mine:

1. I start a new email in Mail app

2. then I show Alfred and type editwith keyword

3. since I have already used a text editor I click Select the Last Used Text Editor

4. then I open my text editor (Byword)

5. I type the email content and when I finish it I show Alfred and type the keyword pasteback

6. done

Note that after triggering the keywords give some time (e.g. no keyboard or mouse action) so the workflow can finish its action.

• 2 months later...

Wonderful workflow. I prefer that it won’t jump to the end of line after pasting the edited text back because I’ll lost track of where my previous paragraph position. I removed that particular line in ew_paste.scpt but I think it’s better to make it as a default behavior.

Wonderful workflow. I prefer that it won’t jump to the end of line after pasting the edited text back because I’ll lost track of where my previous paragraph position. I removed that particular line in ew_paste.scpt but I think it’s better to make it as a default behavior.

I think the move to end of line was an user suggestion that I use most of the time.

Anyway, I may add an option for that.

Thank you for your feedback.

Great workflow!

One idea I had: how difficult would it be to integrate with an app like marked so that you could write markdown in your editor and have it paste back as formatted rich text? That would be a killer feature.

I thought about it but for such task the workflow would need a third party tool (maybe Pandoc) but installing extra packages is something I try not to do in my workflows. At least not for now.

Right now the workflow can paste the text as it is or convert markdown to BBCode (forum code).

• 4 weeks later...

This doesn't seem to be working anymore. I'm running the latest Alfred v2.3 on OS X Yosemite Beta 5 and I tried it with Sublime Text 3 and TextEdit. The selected text seems to get copied, but the text editor doesn't open.

I don’t have Yosemite installed yet.

Anyway, I’ll see if I can change the code regarding opening the editor.

Awesome workflow! One request: I want the hotkey to always take me to sublime, so I have stopped using ew for any other text editor. It would be nice, however, if I could just set the hotkey to open a specific editor (rather than the last used one) and then I would be able to use the workflow with other text editors as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't seem to be working anymore. I'm running the latest Alfred v2.3 on OS X Yosemite Beta 5 and I tried it with Sublime Text 3 and TextEdit. The selected text seems to get copied, but the text editor doesn't open.

Version 3.1 should work with Yosemite.

Download

Awesome workflow! One request: I want the hotkey to always take me to sublime, so I have stopped using ew for any other text editor. It would be nice, however, if I could just set the hotkey to open a specific editor (rather than the last used one) and then I would be able to use the workflow with other text editors as well.

I’ll see what I can do to make things even better. Thank you for your feedback.

• 1 month later...

I can't figure out how to get the workflow to see my editor (MacVim, installed in /usr/local/Cellar/macvim/7.4-73, which has been added to the search scope in Alfred prefs).

If I just invoke Alfred and start typing macvim or vim I can launch macvim just fine. But when I use editwith I get options for many applications but not macvim?

I can't figure out how to get the workflow to see my editor (MacVim, installed in /usr/local/Cellar/macvim/7.4-73, which has been added to the search scope in Alfred prefs).

If I just invoke Alfred and start typing macvim or vim I can launch macvim just fine. But when I use editwith I get options for many applications but not macvim?

1. Go to Alfred Preferences then Workflows tab.

2. Select Edit With workflow

3. Double click File Filter

4. Click Search Scope tab then set where the workflow should search for the app

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem with MacVim installed via homebrew.

I did the 

brew linkapps

command, which places a symlink into /Applications, but with no good. Spotlight is able to find that alias.

Then I did the suggest above, putting both

/usr/local/Cellar/macvim and

/usr/local/Cellar/macvim/7.4-73

into the "Search Scope" (as well /Applications) but to no good.

For the record, I have restarted Alfred in those steps.

Any clues?

Using Alfred last version: 2.5.1 (308) and EdithWith workflow 3.1

I'm having the same problem with MacVim installed via homebrew.

I did the 

brew linkapps

command, which places a symlink into /Applications, but with no good. Spotlight is able to find that alias.

Then I did the suggest above, putting both

/usr/local/Cellar/macvim and

/usr/local/Cellar/macvim/7.4-73

into the "Search Scope" (as well /Applications) but to no good.

For the record, I have restarted Alfred in those steps.

Any clues?

Using Alfred last version: 2.5.1 (308) and EdithWith workflow 3.1

Please check the workflow settings.plist in ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/com.sztoltz.editwith/

Can you see MacVim there?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I am coming late to the edit with workflow. I used QuickCursor with MacVim up to the point it became unusable. I've been using Alfred for some time now, but only as an application launcher, and have absolutely no experience with workflows. I've read all the posts here about the workflow, but am still unclear how to use it.

If I call Alfred and type out "editwith" I get MacVim. If I type "ew" I get a list of possible web searches for "ew". If I type "e" I get "selected last used text editor" and then MacVim. I would like to be able to type "ew" and have MacVim selected immediately.

When I go to type "pasteback" the paste back command appears at the top of the list as soon as I've typed "pas". I would like to have the command appear at the top of the list when I type "pb".

When the text is pasted back to the original application the cursor is moved to the bottom of the file after the pasteback. I thought this had been changed to keep the cursor at the end of the selection pasted back. Perhaps I am mistaken. Or is an option that can be toggled somehow?

Help appreciated. Please forgive my tardiness and my naiveté. 

I am coming late to the edit with workflow. I used QuickCursor with MacVim up to the point it became unusable. I've been using Alfred for some time now, but only as an application launcher, and have absolutely no experience with workflows. I've read all the posts here about the workflow, but am still unclear how to use it.

If I call Alfred and type out "editwith" I get MacVim. If I type "ew" I get a list of possible web searches for "ew". If I type "e" I get "selected last used text editor" and then MacVim. I would like to be able to type "ew" and have MacVim selected immediately.

When I go to type "pasteback" the paste back command appears at the top of the list as soon as I've typed "pas". I would like to have the command appear at the top of the list when I type "pb".

When the text is pasted back to the original application the cursor is moved to the bottom of the file after the pasteback. I thought this had been changed to keep the cursor at the end of the selection pasted back. Perhaps I am mistaken. Or is an option that can be toggled somehow?

Help appreciated. Please forgive my tardiness and my naiveté. 

I'll update this workflow to Alfred 3 and the latest OS X version. I hope everything is still possible.

Thanks, Carlos

You might be right that the workflow needs updating, but my assumption was that it's fine, that it's my lack of experience with workflows in general, and my lack of clarity about use of the editwith workflow that's the problem.

In that connection, will hotkeys enable me to open an editor and pasteback to the original application without calling Alfred? And I can use any unique key combination, e.g., cmd-ew and cmd-pb or even cmd-e and cmd-p?

Thanks,

Eric

Answered my own question, Carlos. Set cmd-e and cmd-p as my hotkeys. With that the workflow works perfectly for me--except that after pasting back the cursor's at the bottom of the file instead of the end of the selection that was pasted back.

Thanks for this workflow. I love vim and loved the fact that quickcursor let me use it in other apps. Now I can do that again.

Sincerely,

Eric

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...