Updating a workflow erases the changes I made to it

Hi, I made a quick search on the forum about this and couldn't find a related thread, if anyone can redirect me though it would be great.

My issue in this case is with the Philips Hue workflow (not with the workflow per se, which works great) and with the fact that when I bring changes to the workflow (adding hotkeys for quick access to specific scenes) but update the workflow afterward, all my changes get discarded. Is there a way to keep these changes with an update ?

Thanks for your help

Valentin 

Some changes, like setting Hotkeys or changing Keywords can be preserved. But if you’re deleting, adding, or reconnecting objects, it becomes tricky to reliably know what to keep and what to discard on update, which effectively is replacing the old version with the new.

The best way to go about it would be asking the developer to officially add the Hotkeys or External Triggers that you can call. The other way is to set a separate Workflow which calls the one you want, however feasible from the objects it has (e.g. connecting a Hotkey to a Show Alfred Utility).

Yes I see, I am not familiar with the Show Alfred Utility and the Help & Support section about it on the website is empty. I don't think adding the Hotkeys to the official workflow would help because in this case the Hotkey requires a set text argument (see screen capture) that is specific to my scene settings in the Hue app.

The workaround I can imagine for this specific case would be to duplicate the workflow when I'm done customizing the Hotkeys and disabling the duplicata, only to use it for copy-pastings my Hotkeys when the workflow is updated.

I am totally in-experimented when it comes to building workflows so I imagine there is a less barbaric way to do it.

Thank you for your answer

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 5.21.59 PM.png

3 hours ago, Valoche said:

I am not familiar with the Show Alfred Utility and the Help & Support section about it on the website is empty.

It does what it says on the tin: shows Alfred, optionally with some text.

3 hours ago, Valoche said:

I don't think adding the Hotkeys to the official workflow would help because in this case the Hotkey requires a set text argument (see screen capture) that is specific to my scene settings in the Hue app.

Sounds like the perfect case for External Triggers. If the Workflow creator adds it, it will allow you to call the Workflow from another with the exact arguments you want. Or, with User Configuration they can make the text in those Hotkeys configurable. Both are simple to add, no code necessary.