Renaming and moving scanned PDF files

Hi,

I am new to Alfed. I am trying to set up a system where I can do the following:

1. scan a load of documents using my Brother scanner, and deposit them into a target folder. This step doesn't involve Alfred.

2. Have an Alfred workflow load up the files from the target folder and allow me to select from preset choices (eg business-name, income, expense, type of expense, payee etc).

3. Have Alfred allow me to enter a date and some free text

4. Act on the information I have selected and/or entered and then do two things with that information:

a. rename the file

b. move the file to a specific folder

I realise that is asking a lot but is there a way to build such a workflow.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Regards,

mark

Welcome @MarkyBoy,

52 minutes ago, MarkyBoy said:

Have an Alfred workflow load up the files from the target folder

If the folder is always at the same place, use a Hotkey Trigger or Keyword Input to start the Workflow and use the Pick Path Automation Task to set up the path. Connect it to an Argument and Variables Utility to save it as a variable (e.g. scan_folder = {query}).

If the folder isn’t in a fixed location, use a File Action Trigger or File Filter Input.

57 minutes ago, MarkyBoy said:

allow me to select from preset choices

List Filter InputConditional Utility (to branch over the actions you want to perform).

58 minutes ago, MarkyBoy said:

Have Alfred allow me to enter a date and some free text

Keep the connection going to a Keyword Input. At its output, have another Argument and Variables Utility to save your input to another variable (e.g. new_name = {query}).

1 hour ago, MarkyBoy said:

4. Act on the information I have selected and/or entered and then do two things with that information:

a. rename the file

b. move the file to a specific folder

At this point, more information is needed. In step 2 you mention multiple files, but on step 4 you only mention one. If you rename all the files the same thing, you’ll overwrite them and end up with just one. Can you clarify this step?

Depending on the desired outcome, some things may change above (probably in step 2), but the majority will continue to apply.