How to make a universal action that asks for extra input

I made a workflow that lets me publish the selected text as a GitHub gist.

Here's how it works:

I select the text I want to publish, I open Universal Actions, and I select Publish as Gist (my workflow).

Now I'd like to add an extra step that asks for the name of the new gist. I imagine something similar to the built-in Email to... action which asks for the email of the recipient (see attached screenshot).

Is this possible?

image.png

Edited by erusev
  • erusev changed the title to How to make a universal action that asks for extra input
  • 3 weeks later...

Worked 😊 Thanks for taking the time respond!

Any tips on how to pass the 2 variables to an external script?

I see how I can concatenate the 2 strings into a single string and pass that, but I'd like to pass them as 2 separate arguments (`$1` and `$2`).

4 hours ago, erusev said:

Any tips on how to pass the 2 variables to an external script?

You can use Run Script and call your script like this:

/usr/local/bin/node transformer.js "$operation" "$capturedString" "$userInput" "$userInputSeparator"

Here, all these args are values that are set using Args utility. In your script, depending on the language, you can fetch these args.  

I think that is a useful workflow. Would be nice if you can share it with the community :)

Edited by andy4222

Thanks!

> I think that is a useful workflow. Would be nice if you can share it with the community :)

I'd love to, but it depends on GitHub's "gh" cli tool being installed. How should I address (or communicate) this in the shared workflow?

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, erusev said:

I'd love to, but it depends on GitHub's "gh" cli tool being installed. How should I address (or communicate) this in the shared workflow?

Mention it in your Workflow’s About. Homebrew is a standard way of installing those tools and Alfred 5 takes the Homebrew install locations into consideration in PATH, so you only need to mention to users the need to install Homebrew plus run brew install gh

• 3 weeks later...