Search OR list files in a specific folder

Hi!

What I want:

Build a workflow that searches files in a specific folder and list them. The list of files should automatically appear even if I don't start typing the search query. 

What I tried:

I did use File Filter that performs search in a folder, but I have to type a search query to find files.

What can I do so that this workflow list the file automatically in that folder rather than me performing a search query? Would be great if the files are sorted newest > oldest

An enhancement would be if I can also search for all files with a specific format or use * to list all files 

Edited by andy4222
  • andy4222 changed the title to Search OR list files in a specific folder
25 minutes ago, andy4222 said:

The list of files should automatically appear even if I don't start typing the search query. 

It doesn’t do it by design. Showing every file from the start has performance implications.

26 minutes ago, andy4222 said:

An enhancement would be if I can also search for all files with a specific format or use * to list all files 

That’s how the File Filter works. * will show everything, and *ext allows you to search for files with a specific extension. You can also use the File Types area in the File Filter to restrict the search to specific file types.

Another thing I was thinking is can I copy the file from the search box itself. So when the file is listed in the result. I can't just copy the file using `cmd+c`. I have to `Tab` and select the `copy file to clipboard` file action to copy it. Any way to accomplish `cmd+c` feature?

12 minutes ago, andy4222 said:

Like what do I chain it with so it lists all the files it found.

You’d have to use a Script Filter and parse them yourself. The task sends the paths along to the next object (e.g. connect them to a Send to Trash and do it to all). Listing them is a different thing.

What you’re asking is equivalent to a File Filter with the scope set to a specific directory.

10 minutes ago, andy4222 said:

I can't just copy the file using `cmd+c`. I have to `Tab` and select the `copy file to clipboard` file action to copy it.

You can’t have ⌘C, but you can have ⌘↩, or ⌥↩, or any combination of fn⇧⌃⌘⌥ with ↩. Connect a Copy to Clipboard Output and double-click the circle on the connection. In the palette to the right, tutorial 4 on Getting Started explains it.

Edited by vitor

Thanks

1 hour ago, vitor said:

you can have ⌘↩, or ⌥↩, or any combination of fn⇧⌃⌘⌥ with ↩.

Any way I can change the behavior of the default file search? Right now, if I open Alfred and hit space, it starts searching files, but I can cannot use this feature of setting what happens when I do on holding cmd or opt key. 

2 hours ago, vitor said:

Alfred Preferences → Advanced. Look on the right side (third, fourth, and fifth popover buttons).

I did, but there isn't an option to "Copy File to Clipboard"

Basically what I want is to search a file, and then press cmd + return or opt + return and the file is copied to the clipboard (not the file path, but the actual file). Right now, this can be done by searching the file, then hitting tab, then selecting "Copy file to Clipboard". I want to reduce the steps needed to copy the file

Edited by andy4222