Request: request JSON action

We need a new action which calls a remote url who returns a JSON with the expected Alfred format:

{
  "items": [
    {
      "icon": {
        "path": "default.png"
      },
      "arg": "some_arg",
      "title": "Item Title",
      "subtitle": "Random Text"
    }
  ]
}

I find myself writing scripts to fetch remote json files all the time.

PS 1: I can dream something more complex, like an internal parser to map json properties with title, subtitle, icon, etc, but for now just read the remote file is enough.

PS 2: I know it's possible to use curl and return the json, but an action would be great 🙌

Edited by skydiver

I think what you describe is the main reason for scripting workflows. I am uncertain if there is an easier solution to get JSON data mapped into Alfred Script Filter output? 

What  scripting language are you using? 

@deanishe provides a python helper lib: https://www.deanishe.net/alfred-workflow/

Alfred workflows typically take user input, fetch data from the Web or elsewhere, filter them and display results to the user

I don't know if  the helper lib is compatible with Alfred 5 for now. 

Edited by Acidham

4 hours ago, Acidham said:

I don't know if the helper lib is compatible with Alfred 5 for now. 

Alfred 5 doesn’t change anything that would break it. The issue with that library is that it’s for Python 2 and points specifically to /usr/bin/python.

There are at least two Python 3 forks of it people are starting to use. One of them is by @xilopaint, but I think it’s not officially out.

On 7/27/2022 at 7:41 AM, vitor said:

There are at least two Python 3 forks of it people are starting to use. One of them is by @xilopaint, but I think it’s not officially out.

I'm really close to the initial release. I think it's a matter of a couple of weeks. Just need to find some free time for finishing the test suite.